Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, here's the deal ....

1. I am running Windows Vista and Windows automatically updates. While this is in itself not a problem as I could set the time for the INSTALL, but how do I set the time for DOWNLOADING them?

2. I have HughesNet (yeah, I know ... it sucks, but it's all that is available with a semblance of high speed where I live). HughesNet allows me unlimited downloading between 2am and 7am everyday and this does NOT count against my download limit, however, everything else during the day DOES count against that limit. Therefore when Windows downloads it's updates outside the 2am to 7am window, I tend to exceed my FAP (Fair Access Policy) Limit and then go from High Speed to 1kb to 2kb a second.

Can anyone help me? If you need more information, let me know

dog

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Update. Control panel will have to be in classic view to see this option. Once you are there, click Change Settings along the left hand side. This will give you the option to change the time at which Windows will check and download updates, or to make Windows check for updates but only download them and install them when you say.

-mp

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
mpascal,
Thanks, guess I'll have to do it that way ...... anything to keep me from going over my limit on downloads.

dog

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
That should work just fine. If you have any other questions ask away :)

-mp