Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Emerald Isle

Emerald Isle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Folks
My desktop which runs windows XP home has become very slow. It keeps giving registries errors when connected to the internet. It also has had a lot of software added and removed over the past three years I have owned it. It is so slow now that when typing sometimes you have to wait for the PC to catch up. I want to clear everything and start anew by formatting the hard drive and loading windows XP pro. I am not sure how to do this and am concerned about losing drivers for CD drive, DVD, monitor, keyboard and such thing.
Can someone please give me some advice?
Thanking you in advance
Brendan.

P.S. I assume formatting the hard drive will also clear the registry

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi - there are numerous threads on reformatting and reinstalling windows - search the forum, look out for pinned threads at the head of the forum page.

Tip: You can rely on utility programs to do this, but I've know them mis-report hardware, but before reformatting, have a look at what your system thinks what devices are currently attached!

A quick glance at your Device Manager will tell you this - look for exclamation or question marks.

Write down what's listed and download relevant drivers from the vendors web sites - before you begin reformatting! You'll need to store the files somewhere other than the hard drive you're proposing to format.

Clicking on the plus sign (+) expands for more info - this is what you need.

Take a screen shot - Press F13 or 'Print Screen' on your keyboard - top row.

Paste into a word document, or click Start -- Run -- type 'write'

May need to take more than one screen shot if you have a small screen, low screen res or a long list!

This is what I do, everybody has their own preferred method, but I find doing it this way obliges me to ensure I've got all relevant drivers before I even begin to think about reformatting!

Good Luck :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee