Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

roniron

roniron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whats up, Im a rookie here, and I know my terminology will not be up to par.

This is the deal............on my main computer, only God knows what happend to it, but at the login screen, where you would put the password, you enter it and it says logging in and then.........bam not even one second later it says logging off.

Does anyone know why this or how to fix it?

Thanking you in advance

Also, how would i know if someone responds to this post, i am also at [e-mail removed] or my work email is [e-mail removed] I know, i know, Compucage international is a Computer security company but we dont deal with software it is for physical security to avoid any data breaches.

Kindest Regards,

Ron.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello roniron...

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem. You'll need to be on an XP machine when you create this disk and copy the userinit.exe file to use on the broken machine.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it. Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

wannabe1

PS...I took the liberty of removing your e-mail addresses from the original post. E-mail harvesters would have loved to find them so they could make sure you got plenty of stuff in your in box.

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Just a quick thought mate, what spec is your computer, what processor do you have and finally what service pack do you have, if you have a pre built machine (Acer, HP,etc) that use's AMD processor and you have service pack 3 then that could be your problem, I have read that the Manufacturer's basicly ghosted XP from an Intel machine and that then installed a Intel file which is read as system goes to put your desktop up and then SP3 does recognise it so blue screens and reboots.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Like Wannabe said, it's probably the userinit.exe file. This file is run as soon as you log in, and it used to start up login scripts and the Windows GUI.