Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

understanding speakers

• Please log in to reply

sulobaid

sulobaid

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ive been looking for some good speakers, and whenever i check some out there is all kinds of information on the box like how many watts each speaker is, the sensitivity ratings, decibles and hertz. the problem is i dont know how any of this relates to how the speaker sounds and how powerful they are. could use some help with this.

thanks
sulo

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And the sad part is, none of those specifications have anything to do with how good they sound, except the Hertz. The wider the frequency response, then generally the better sound, if distortion remains inaudible.

Although power can produce a deeper, stronger bass, more power does not equal better sound because we must go back to distortion - so the best measure is really distortion, which should be as low as possible across the entire audible spectrum, generally considered around 30Hz - 18KHz.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok, thanks, i will look for low hertz

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

ok, thanks, i will look for low hertz

Ummm, okay, but as I noted several times, low distortion is the best measure for quality.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
sorry i must have misunderstood i though you said hertz was the measure of distortion

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No. Hertz is the frequency of the audio signal. A bass guitar will produce low frequency while cymbals may be high. Distortion is a measure of how true to the original the reproduction is.

Perhaps if you stated your budget, and the main use of these speakers, we can offer some suggestions.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ah ok, well im gonna use the speakers for gaming and music. as for budget i dunno around $100-$150

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, I should have also asked you what you have now for a sound card. The motherboard? Does it support 5.1? Are you looking for surround or just 2.1 (left, right, and subwoofer)?

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i dont know exactly what kind of sound card i have but it does support 5.1, not sure if i wanna go surround though as i dont have a lot of space and its a laptop that i kinda move around the house a bit. i figured i would learn some information about speakers from you guys, get a few suggestions and then figure out what im gonna get

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I don't know about lugging speakers around with a notebook. I would probably look at a good set of headphones.

Advertisements

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
heh true, dont plan to drag speakers around, im just gonna set em up around a desk where i normally have my laptop

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well there are many decent 2.1 systems that will probably work fine.

See http://www.newegg.co...ion=speaker 2.1

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
this is only an option,

do you have a hi-fi amp and normal hi-fi speakers - if you do then these may work better, depending on your set up,
there is nothing that says you have to use computer speakers,

all you need to connect your amp to your laptop/pc sound card is a 1/8 jack to stereo rca,

plug the 1/8 (3.5 mm) jack into the output on your sound card and the rca into the left and right channels of the amp (tape, phono or aux)

Attached Thumbnails

• 3_5mm_phono.jpg

Edited by hawklord, 18 July 2009 - 02:53 PM.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
no i dont have any non computer speakers either, though that is a good suggestion and will remember it in case i ever do have other speakers.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok im looking at the speakers on newegg. and i should be looking for the lowest signal to noise ratio yes?

Edited by sulobaid, 20 July 2009 - 01:07 AM.