Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to logon

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and we will continue to monitor this topic for you.
Unless Broni has anything else.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should run chkdsk /r until it does not find and fix any errors...
if it continues to find errors I would suspect the drive is on its way out...

Tom Plachecki

Tom Plachecki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Everything is good now. I went through all the Windows Updates and it is now up-to-date. I then repeated chkdsk and the first time it repaired errors, but the second time it was clean. The problems must have been related to all the updates and restarts.

My next question is what can I "clean-up" following all these updates. The free space on this computer went from 9 GB to 2GB. I'd like to remove items that are not needed anymore.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need a minimum of 15 % free space on a hard drive....
back up some/most of your data to another drive or burn to dvd's...
go thru the add/remove programs in the control panel and get rid of anything you don't use
while your there get rid of any of the old java installs EXCEPT Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.14...thats the newest..
when your system is running stable...
turn off restore to clear out all the old restore points...defrag then turn it back on and create a new one...
also go to power options in the control panel and uncheck hibernate..
another place to get some space back is to click on start...my computer...C drive ...windows folder...then delete all the NtUninstall you see there...the downside to doing this is those are the uninstallers for all those windows updates and you will no longer be able to go to the control panel and uninstall the update that way...so be sure your system is stable before doing that...

Edited by happyrock, 20 July 2009 - 07:43 AM.