Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AM2/AM3 Mobo Question

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hello,
I am looking at this mobo/cpu combo deal from Newegg: http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.211659
My question has to do with CPU compatibility... I know that the AM3 sockets aren't compatible with the AM2/AM2+ CPUs. The Asus mobo must have a AM2/AM2+ socket in that case if it also supports AM3. I don't have an AM2 CPU and am wondering if the AM3 Phenom 2 X4 955 Black Edition will work with the mobo without flashing the BIOS.

If I have to flash the BIOS to use the AM3 CPU, how do I do it?

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I believe you will have to flash the BIOS in order to use an AM3 socket on the motherboard.

If you go here, you can download the latest driver for your motherboard which will allow it to run with an AM3 processor. I believe the easiest way to do this is to save the file on a floppy, along with the BIOS-Update Tool found there, and boot from it. Can anyone confirm this?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for your reply.

Don't you need a processor to even flash the BIOS?
I found the BIOS update that allows you to use an AM3 CPU.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Yes, that's what worries me. In order to flash the BIOS you do need to have the computer running, but I'm not sure how it will work without the update in place. I did a bit of research, and apparently if the board says "AM3 ready" you should be able to get past POST without any problems, and then flash the bios. I'm hoping someone on tech staff can come along and confirm this :)

I also found a good guide on flashing the BIOS here. You'll be using AFUDOS.exe because I believe your motherboard doesn't have EZ-Flash.

-mp

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I believe your motherboard doesn't have EZ-Flash.

It does... I confirmed this from looking at the manual.

I might just call up or ask Asus on this matter.

Something else I could do is buy a really cheap AM2 CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103240
And use that to flash the BIOS... then replace it with the AM3 one.

Edited by edge2022, 17 July 2009 - 11:54 AM.