Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home System Restore with RAID 1 configuration

• Please log in to reply

tech1023152

tech1023152

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try to use "System Restore" with a RAID 1 configuration. Select a previous date to restore. System accepts restore and reboots. After system reboots a message appears that the system was not restored and another date should be selected. Any date selected causes the "did not restore" message to appear after reboot.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi tech1023152 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
when one restore point is corrupt...they are all corrupt because they are linked...only fix is to turn off restore...that clears out all the non working restore points ...reboot and turn on restore again...at that point manually create a restore point and then test it to make sure it works...
just a side note...I set up a RAID 0 setup on my personal system years ago...P4 3.0GHz northwood core overclocked to 3.9 GHz...1066 front side bus ...ran faster than the $1000.00 P4EE...
anyway looong story short...finaly gave up on the RAID setup after restore didn't work all the time and using norton ghost to image the RAID drive failed on about 50% of the tries to restore to a previous point...
it was a good learning opportunity but if you want stability I recommend against it...IMHO

tech1023152

tech1023152

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the idea. Clearing out the restore points and starting over solved the problem. I was blaming the inability of restore to handle a RAID configuration. For backups I've been using Seagates "Disk Wizard" by Acronis. You must have a Maxtor/Seagate drive for backup but it does an image of the entire drive and it's FREE.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...
I have been using HDClone for cloning the whole drive and never had a failure yet...FYI..all the hard drive manufactures make a cloning tool...