Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Couple XP Peeves

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
There are a few things that have always peeved me about Windows (yes, only a few worth mentioning).

1. Sometime when I bring up the "Start" Menu tower, some of the applicants are hidden while only a few of the most recently used applications are visible. Of course, once you navigate further down they appear but it always bugs me. Is there away to set properties so that applications don't hide in the Start Menu Tower?

2. File names are partially hidden or cut off, ussually ending with three "..." I want to see the full file name all of the time! Is there something that I can set in the folder options?

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey there JHazon,

Kinda having trouble understanding the first problem, but the second one I think I know what you mean. So we'll start there :)

Open My Documents(or where ever you see the files that are cut off).
Above all the files, but under the address bar, there will be gray tabs that say things like; Name, Date Modified, Size, Type.. etc.
Move your mouse to the separating line between two tabs, and click and drag. You'll be able to customize the length of the tab. Depending on how long your longest file name is, you should make the name tag the biggest. I'm on a vista comp, but it should look a little similar - heres a screeny. Click and drag the line.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
I think I know what you mean with the applicants hiding. I think there's just not enough room.. What is your resolution set at..? Maybe you could uninstall a few programs.. lol.

START > CONTROL PANEL > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

Perhaps send me a screenshot so I can see what you mean. If you don't know how.. Here.

Hope I've helped somewhat :)

-Jason :)

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Posted Image

As above... the file names on the left are partially hidden compared to the file that is highlighted.

Of course, now my Start Tower is not hidden applications

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Change the view type.

Up in the top, third tab over. Choose one that fits you. (Small, Medium Large Icons, List, Details..)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
My bad, it's actually a button about in the middle that looks like this. (sorry I'm on vista, trying to remember XP :) )

Attached Thumbnails

• view_options.jpg

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
So I guess when I use the "icon" view, there is no way to change this appearance? Duho!

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
I don't believe so :)

:)