Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music File Management

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I had approximately 40gB of music on my hard drive and moved it to a external hard drive. I then copied it to another external hard drive and this has resulted in my Windows Media Player and iTunes folders to be full of several copies of the same file picked up from the two external hard drives as well as still showing the names form my internal hard drive. I would like to clear this up so that I only view one copy of file from the selected external hard drive.

How can I do this? What happens if I delete the contents on the Liabrary in WMP and iTunes? Could I then create a new Liabrary from a designated external hard drive?

Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yes. iTunes library is merely a list of files. Delete library, and create a new one.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks you!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Just to mention in a hurry i was clearing my iTunes library one day and by deleting the files form the library i accidentally deleted the actual files and lost over 40GB of music as it was to large to go in the recycle bin.

If it ever asks make sure you choose to keep the files

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I currently have iTunes and Windows Media Player installed. Do I need both? Do I need either? What is the best music management software program available and why? Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It depends.
I use iTunes to synchronize my iPods, and I use WMP to synchronize my other mp3/video player.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
So if I don't have an ipod, only other mp3 devices, I really just need WMP - correct?

To remove iTunes do I just go to Add/Delete Programs and select iTunes to uninstall?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

So if I don't have an ipod, only other mp3 devices, I really just need WMP - correct?

You have to check device's manual. Mine uses WMP to synchronize files, yours may use something else.

To remove iTunes do I just go to Add/Delete Programs and select iTunes to uninstall?

Yes.