Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

serious reboot problem!

• Please log in to reply

lovely1

lovely1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One day I went to my computer and tried to start it, but I am unable to even get to my desktop..windows will nt start up, I'm at a loss, I've been told to start it in Safemode by holding f2 or f8, but this does not work my mouse and keyboard don't seem to be working, what can I do? :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You don't "hold" f2 or f8... you "tap" the key contiuously right after you see the bios screen show up... and it's the F8 key you should be tapping.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi lovely1 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
do as makai advised...if you select safe mode with networking you should be able to connect to the internet...let us know how it goes...

lovely1

lovely1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I'm going home to try the "tapping" of the f8 key..bios screen?.not sure my computer is getting that far!..I'm stuck on a multi color box which advises the monitor is working and so forth,and the hard drive seems to be running high..nosiy..Thanks Guys! :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The Bios screen information is what you normally see when you first boot a computer up. It looks like the computer is running through a menu and the display is black with white words scrolling up the screen.

If you're only seeing the monitor indication your mention, you may have a more serious problem and you may not see the bios info. Try what has been advised first and if that doesn't work, let us know.

makai

lovely1

lovely1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I disconnected and reconnected everything and changed monitors, for some reason it helped because now windows is up and running, but I can't get on the internet!, I receive a message stating the port is already in use by another program and asks me to go to the task manager to close all programs except systray and explorer, most of the programs have this I'm confused! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter