Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End of the Internet 2012

• Please log in to reply

princessss

princessss

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I have found this all over the place on the internet and was just wondering if anyone is buying it. I just find it rather funny, but when I think about privatization in companies such as the telephone or something, it doesn't seem that far fetched.

Internet Killed by 2012

Advertisements

gold_y

gold_y

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i dont think that is possible.most of people go on the net because it's free.Facebook,myspace and twitter all have traffic because they are free.see there advertisement revenues fall as soon as they make subscription paid.Not to mention loss of traffic on their sites.Although i do think it may finish off the newspapers what with all major publications having a free online edition news being available on all major sites.and a lot of them making losses

Edited by gold_y, 17 July 2009 - 10:06 AM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Thought we were over 1st of april.... :)

Anyways, instead of looking on what some corporate firms want to supposedly do, I'd rather look on how well this suits the billions invested in the internet by countries and their governments. It is simply not do-able. Do we really want a internet for those who can pay? In some countries, they are still struggling just to be able to provide internet, let alone equip their populace with computers due to poverty. A few extra bucks a month, might not be a big deal, but if you struggle just to get the salt to your egg, those bucks are valueable. If some webpages want their customers to pay for their service and whatever that page provide, fine. Some pages do this already, like Experts Exchange. You can search for a topic or a specific problem, but you have to pay to get the answer. And there are plenty of arguments to use against a paid consumer internet. Some newspaper sites in Denmark have played with the thought, but they already get revenue from ad's as well, and wouldn't people get their news elsewhere? Like the national Television news? Can they afford that people would rather watch telly instead of surfing their site? What about Organizations that relies on donations? (Red Cross for example) Pages that work with statistics involving people answering questions? (Gallup for instance. Would you pay just to be able to answer a question for the sake of some weird statistic?) People dependent of the internet because of a disability? Would access to the library webpage have to be paid through your tax? Etc. Etc. etc.

One might as well say, "lets get rid of all the money in the world in 2012!"

In the future, perhaps, who can truly say? But 2012? No. I won't even consider 2020 close enough for that to happen, for the whole of the internet. Some pages, as already seen now, yes, but otherwise, no. it is simply to complicated for the time being, and involves to many interests and factions.

Edited by Abydos, 19 July 2009 - 05:01 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Well we might not have a choice. The Aztec Calender ends at 2012.. meaning if the world is destroyed by solar flares then, the internet will surely not survive as well :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Well we might not have a choice. The Aztec Calender ends at 2012.. meaning if the world is destroyed by solar flares then, the internet will surely not survive as well :)

Hehe, well, thats a whole other size to discuss. But personally, I'd be rich if I got a dollar for everytime I've come across some dooms-day date. Granted, there are things out of our hands, but to set a date because of some ancient extinct indians, who might not have been able to predict any outcome just 100 years ahead, haha, no way. Besides, the end of the world, have a whole other meaning when you only know a fraction of it. For them, the world might just have been their civilization, plus the vicinity of that.

Anyways, I can't bother troubling my mind with things I have absolutely no influence on. If it happens, it happens, nothing I can do about it. :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
:) to that

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
First of all, it's not the Aztec calendar, but the Mayan calendar which is related to the modern doomsday theory of December 21, 2012. As this misinformation clearly shows, this doomsday theory is only accepted in modern culture because it is not well understood. The Mayan calendar does not end on December 21, 2012. Rather, it begins a new b'ak'tun, which is roughly analogous to our millennium. So, it would be like going from 1999 to 2000, where everyone predicted all sorts of things would go wrong, but nothing did. The actual end of the Mayan calendar is about 41,341,049,999,999,999,999,999,994,879 years from now.

Also, as you may have figured out more easily, that article about the internet is a hoax. I could spend time debunking every one of the outlandish claims made, but I think it will suffice to say, if it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.

princessss

princessss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
oooooh I love worms, especially the kind that come in cans lol...

anyways wasn't the internet initially just meant for the military, and just took off from there ...probably due to some dog..ahem....lazy type workers who found other uses for their idle minds lol ..god bless them....

I wouldnt be surprised by something coming to an end. Its just a matter of what will go first isn't it?

Energy sources, such as gas, water, etc.
food sources...
us?...

gold_y

gold_y

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Talk about water there is the ocean,it's saline but can be purified.
Food sources include cloned fish and meat,genetically enhanced food crops that grow fast they are being developed and would be perfected in another decade or so.

About energy sources then there is the sun and it aint gonna last for like another 4.5 billion years and we can use that energy for atleast 3 billion years,

thank god for some lazy people that got us telephone,email,internet,cars, and all the other stuff,making us lazy in turn and if someone wants all these to end they might as well go and turn into a hermit.

Edited by gold_y, 20 July 2009 - 02:24 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, I started watching the video and soon lost track of what the heck I was watching it for. Next thing I know, I'm on Tania's Youtube Channel :)

Advertisements

princessss

princessss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
whats a tanya?

Here is hoping the internet is around for at least my lifetime, I couldn't live without it. I mean life without facebook and msn..I would just die :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Tania is the attractive girl in the video. She has a youtube channel that is linked to at the top right of that video :)

#1MIfan

#1MIfan

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Well, I started watching the video and soon lost track of what the heck I was watching it for. Next thing I know, I'm on Tania's Youtube Channel :)

:) When it comes to surfing the net, I TOTALLY have ADD. For example, the other day I was online to get W-2 info for financial aid for school. I ended up getting what I needed; only after watching youtube videos and reading college football article on The Bleacher Report for 2 1/2 hours! But seriously, If you've seen the video it is really hard to take this seriously if you know what I mean :) But at the same time I would not put it past big business to pull some sort of stunt like that.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

:)

Perfectly excusable :)

Edited by Fredil, 03 August 2009 - 04:47 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

If you've seen the video it is really hard to take this seriously if you know what I mean

Yeah, I mean with the mountain scenery ::cough:: ::cough:: in that video, why would you pay attention to the guys actually talking.

:)