Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ERDNT file in c:windows?

• Please log in to reply

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I was emptying my temp folder the other day and as I was going through WINDOWS I came across ERDNT folder. It has a exe and other files within the folder.
Strange that I have never noticed it before. Its not malware (scanned with NOD32, malwarebytes and SAS)

So what is it? Taking up about 40 megs of space if anyone wants to know.
If its not a critical component can I delete it??
Thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
ERDNT is a very highly recommended program. What you're seeing in C:\Windows is really a backup of the registry that ERDNT made. At one time or another you must of had ERDNT make a backup of your registry. Do a search for ERDNT on google and read about it and it's use. Actually, I have a link in my sig. I use it religiously in tandem with System Restore. It has saved me many times from badly installed programs, or when I experiment with programs.

And yes, you can delete the folder if you want. The next time you run ERDNT (after you learn about it), it'll create another backup folder in C:\Windows.

Edited by makai, 17 July 2009 - 01:17 AM.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks, deleted it then, had no need for another registry BU prog

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed....
ERUNT is a highly recommended program and if you ever have the misfortune to have to go thru our malware removal forum ...they will have you install it...
its much better than windows restore...if any of your windows restore points become corrupt they are ALL corrupt because they are linked...there is no way to fix them either...you will have to turn off restore to clear out all the broken restore points and then turn it back on and then manually create a restore point to get it to work again
not so with ERUNT...each one is a stand alone back up...and all you have to do is get to the ERUNT folder and click on the ERDNT.exe and it will restore your registry to the date the folder was made...
I personally run it prior to EVERY windows update...updating drivers, or prior to installing a new program...

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
thank you for your explanation to this client. It was helpful to others and i have done what you suggested and have my erunt back up. YAAA Geeks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)