, since you do not have a XP cd, there are a couple things you can do.
Either borrow a XP cd from a friend so you can run the recovery console. or
Download the recovery console. Info and link to RC
If you use the RC.iso then you need to put it on a CD using a program like Nero. I use burncdcc
from my signature. It is only for iso files.
Either way you need to boot the computer from the CD drive.
To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.
6. Type in chkdsk /r
and then enter.