Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have recently got the blue screen of death which reads unmountable boot volume. I have not recently installed any new hard or software. I have tried to reboot in safe mode, last known configuration and normal start up but they all give me the same message.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x84CFFE30, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I am using Windows XP SP3 and it is a laptop (I have found many replies to topics if I had a XP CD but the laptop didn't come with one).

Any help would be appreciated.

Iain.

Edited by IAIN -Y-, 17 July 2009 - 04:04 AM.

Advertisements

LlyodL

LlyodL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
To repair the file system, perform the following steps:

1. Boot your system with the Windows XP installation disk.
2. on the Welcome to Setup screen, press R.
3. Select the operating system installation you want to repair and then provide the administrator username and password.
4. At command prompt type the chkdsk /r command and then press Enter. If this command fails to fix the file system, run the fixboot command.
5. Type exit and press Enter to restart your PC.
6. Your system should startup normally now.

LlyodL

LlyodL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try this link: http://www.instant-r...t_volume-error/

or this one

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403

Edited by LlyodL, 17 July 2009 - 04:20 AM.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I do not have the installation disk, it did not come with the laptop as I stated in my first post sao I am unable to use them links.

Iain.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
IAIN -Y-, since you do not have a XP cd, there are a couple things you can do.

Either borrow a XP cd from a friend so you can run the recovery console. or
Download the recovery console. Info and link to RC

If you use the RC.iso then you need to put it on a CD using a program like Nero. I use burncdcc from my signature. It is only for iso files.

Either way you need to boot the computer from the CD drive.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.
6. Type in chkdsk /r and then enter.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It won't let me boot from CD, I put the CD in restart and if I leave it, it comes to the set up screen of safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command promt, last known configueration or start normally. Any I click it just goes back to the blue screen. It is not auto booting from the cd.

I have pressed F9, F10 and nothing so I can't reboot it from CD. (It's a HP Compaq nx6325 model)

Edited by IAIN -Y-, 18 July 2009 - 02:11 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
https://help.ubuntu....nity/BootFromCD
Read that article and try changing your BIOS priority settings.

What program did you use to burn the CD? Try using BurnCDCC.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'l have a read, I used BurnCDCC.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The most common way to enter the BIOS is to press the DELETE key when the computer is first booted(this seems to be becoming standard). On other systems it could be a different key, or combination of keys like ESC, F1, F2, F10, F12, Ctrl-Esc, Alt-Esc, Ctrl-Alt-Esc, Ctrl-Alt-Enter, Ins or even others.

When the computer is booting up you should see on the screen the way to get into BIOS/CMOS. This is usually in the lower left or upper right.
Once in BIOS there will be a spot to change the boot order.
Make sure you save the settings.
With the CD in the drive, reboot the computer.
You should see something on the screen similar to "to boot from CD, hit any key".
Once the CD is booted, then follow my previous instructions.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Doesn't matter my hard drive has gone. Just going to install Ubuntu on another laptop of mine and try it out for the mean time. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Doesn't matter my hard drive has gone

Has it died?

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Virtually, went to try and install another OS (Ubuntu) but the hard drive is corrupt, it was due for the bin anyway.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have any data that you wish to recover?
Download the appropriate diagnostic utility from here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Burn it to a disc, and run a long diagnostic on your corrupted hard drive.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Fortunately I save everything to my external HD so there isn't anything at all stored on it. (Well only football manager 2009) and i'm not bothered about that. Lucky enough all my pictures etc are stored on this computer (my girlfriends)as well as my EHD.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That's always good... having backups can be a great time-saver.
What HDD are you planning to get? Give me the make and model of your computer and I can give you some suggestions.