Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Site and have a question about Security!

• Please log in to reply

GeekChic

GeekChic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I am relatively new to this site and have a question concerning internet security. I have a small website that gets a couple thousand hits per month and I need protection from hackers.

What should I expect to pay for this? Also, what is the difference between a web application firewall and a software as a service? Do I need both of these?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

GeekChic

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any decent website host should have hardware firewalls already installed and any nice ones will have them as standard and not as a separate add-on.
Unless you are a major international company, a far-right wing political party or any so-called "figure of hate" as they're called, you are unlikely to get "hacked" and even if you were, it'll be the host's problem and not yours.

HelpSecure

HelpSecure

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey GeekChic,

A web application firewall does not route traffic on the network layer. All traffic stops at the firewall which may initiate its own connections if the traffic satisfies the rules.

SaaS (Software as a Service) is generally associated by software professionals and business associates with business software and is typically thought of as a low-cost way for businesses to obtain rights to use software as needed versus licensing all devices with all applications.

Even if your website doesn't get too much activity, you still want to make sure that its safe, and not low ball it because you want to save money. I do a lot of software research for my company, and have recently come across this new service called XyberShield. It is a relatively new concept for Internet Security, enacting a Behavior Based Protection that attacks and stops cyber attacks before they cause damage to your website. Everything from SQL Injection, Cross Site Scripting, SSI Injection, Brute Force Attacks, and HTTP Response Splitting is shut down through this service. The best part about it is its cheap compared to other services and products. You might want to check it out if your looking for something to protect your web application with, heres the link

http://xybershield.com

Hope I answered some of your questions, let me know if I can be of anymore help!

Thanks

-HS