Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading slowed me down?

• Please log in to reply

WiredKevin

WiredKevin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is my gaming computer and it previously had an old motherboard and video card, (the video card was AGP). I recently did a full rebuild and replaced the motherboard, videocard, ram, power supply, and the cpu. The only thing I kept was the hard drive and disk drives. Now uses a PCI express 2.0 nvidia gforce GTX 275 with a 3.0 ghz DC pentium processor. As I had a few weeks prior reformetted the HD I left it as it was and installed all the need drivers for all the new hardware with XP Pro.

Noqw it runs all games at near perfect speed at max settings but the problem is it run everything else other than games pitifully slow. Booting up is the biggest hit. It boots to the desktop then spends the next 3-5mins processing "something," I don't know what it is processing and nothing in the process windows shows anything out of the ordinary and the performance window shows the cpus running between 1-5%. Turning on an mp3 or video takes anywhere from 10-60 seconds and start off lagging and jittering the frames. After awhile it catches up and runs smooth but even on my older setup it would boot any video no matter the size in under 5 seconds and run smooth right away.

Did I do something wrong? Could this simply be a confliction of hardware or drivers? Or might it be more serious such as defective hardware?

Windows XP Pro SP3
ASUS P5P43TD PRO Motherboard
3.0ghz DC Pentium CPU
4GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA Nvidia Gforce GTX 275 Video Card

Edited by WiredKevin, 17 July 2009 - 07:04 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you have upgraded the motherboard then I would definitely do a fresh install of Windows. There could be a number of factors that could be causing the issue and a fresh install could fix it or identify a more serious hardware failure.

Cheers