Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer problems with my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Amoore

Amoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
At first, I thought I had a virus problem. But I think I have a hard drive problem. I can still get on the internet, but I can't download any links or open up PDF formats, that I need for school. My computer will tell me that "a few of my files have been corrupted on the hard drive." How do I clean up my hard drive????

I need help!!
What do I do?
:) :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in "Chkdsk /r"
Without the quotations and Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 July 2009 - 02:29 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
For not being able to open PDF files, it could just be a corrupt PDF program.
Try opening with PDF XChange Viewer. It is smaller and uses less resources.

The files being corrupt may not be the only issue. He may have some system files messed up also. He may have to run sfc /scannow

Rshaffer->->-> I will let you tell him how. I have 1 foot out the door for a week of camp with my Scout troop.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can also try the PDF reader GTG suggests a lot named Foxit.

To run the System File Checker or SFC Scan as suggested by 123Runner just follow the next steps.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!