Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running at 69*C! now what!

• Please log in to reply

TBalcom

TBalcom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I read a number of other topics about over heating laptops and they all suggested getting a monitoring program so I did. My laptop has been running really really hot for a while and I guess I just thought that was supposed to be that way since it never shut itself down. (which it sounds like other laptops do when they're hot) But when I ran the program it said it was at 69*C and that anything above 60 is bad. So now what? I do know that I need more RAM and am looking at buying that this weekend. But now that I know my computer is so hot, what are my options?
Toshiba Satellite A65, not sure what other info you need. At one pooint my available physical memory as about 5% and my memory load was 95%. I'm not 100% sure but I'm guessing that's not idea. I can find my way around a computer okay but am not a "computer geek" and SOO appreciate those that are! :)
Thanks!

Edited by TBalcom, 17 July 2009 - 11:36 PM.

Advertisements

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,
Can you hear your fan going? Could be that it has stopped working, also whats your problem like with shutting it down? Will it not shutdown at all?

TBalcom

TBalcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes the fan runs, it's always running. And I can shut it down manually, it just doesn't shut off automatically when it gets so hot, like others have said theirs do.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume that what you are referring to is the laptop shutting itself off if to hot. If this happens, the programs and processes do not shut down properly. This also means that the CPU got to hot. You want it to shut off, but in reality you never want this to happen because it will lead to other issues with the laptop. (I hope I said that correctly so its understood).

Some computers and laptops will run hot.
I do not know what program you used to verify, but another 1 to try is Everest (from my signature). This will help confir the other settings.
On the left side you will expand out computer, and then click on sensor. You will see the temperatures and voltages.

Let us know what they are.

Also take a good look at the fan for any blockage. There should also be a spot which will be air flow in. Make sure this is not blocked.
Make sure you are not using the laptop on a bed or a soft surface where it can't get air flow. This is a common problem.

123runner