Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build. Possible broken heatsink ?

• Please log in to reply

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,

Yesterday I built my first PC. I booted and everything appeared fine but 20 seconds into it, the computer shut off. So I re-booted and went into the BIOS to check the temps only to find that the CPU was getting extremely hot(100 C). I checked the stock intel heatsink and it appeared as if there was an insufficient amount of thermal paste, so i cleaned it off and applied a new layer of arctic silver 5 thermal grease and now it won't even boot!
Could this possibly be a broken heatsink? If so recommend me one for a Socket 775 Core 2 Duo.

Sorry forgot to add that when I try to boot it makes a bunch of Hi pitched beep noise

Thank you all in advance

Edited by Formaldehyde, 18 July 2009 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the fan on the top of the heatsink turning on when system turns on?
Does it continue to turn or is it turning slowly?

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, the fan is turning when I turn the system on. It continues to turn at normal speed when the power is on

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure the CPU is seated correctly? They are keyed to fit only one way and should take no force to seat them.
The socket is known as a ZIF socket which stands for Zero Insertion Force
I suggest taking the CPU out and checking it for bent pins and correct seating.

At your Temp there is something else wrong as it is not normal for a CPU to get that hot instantly.

How old is the system and are the parts still under warranty?
Where were the parts bought from?

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just took out the CPU and everything looked fine. It took no force to seat it. I received the parts on the 15th bought on the 13th, so yes, the parts are still under warranty. I bought them from tiger direct

btw my motherboard is the XFX 780i and there is this LED square that shows a #. The # goes to 25 and then beeps and turns to 26 then some other numbers pass and when it's all finished it gets left on 7F (I couldn't find what this meant in my manuel)

Edited by Formaldehyde, 18 July 2009 - 09:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you call TigerDirect and explain the situation.
They are really good about helping their customers out. I deal with them alot and have never had a bad experience with them .
The other thing I can suggest is if this is a new build and the system has never started up correctly you may have a short between the MOBO and the case.
I can give you the instructions for the two part testing if you would like but I believe you should at least contact TigerDirect and let them know you have a potentially faulty CPU.
At least this way you will be covered if determined that is indeed your issue.

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you so much for your help. I have figured out the problem, it was such a dumb mistake. I presumed the reason that the computer was shutting off was because it was still overheating, turns out my video card wasn't screwed in so it got loose xD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :) The simpliest things that can cause a problem.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible