Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista System Restore Malfunctions

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Vista Home Basic ACER laptop. Worked fine until I uninstalled AOL Spyware Protection, at which time I could not obtain Internet access, and all programs opened slowly only after a few minutes delay. For example, when I clicked start, it would take a few minute before the menu popped up. Then when selecting Programs, accessories, and on to system restore, each of these steps had a delay of a couple of minutes or more before reacting.

My thought was to return the computer to when it was working fine.

I attempted system restore, selected a date, and received the below message.

Error 0x800423F3 : The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur.

After this attempt, no dates for system restore remained so I tried to manually create a restore point. After a couple of minutes of this step, I received the same error message.

Also when trying to use the Start feature, it will freeze and then I receive the message Windows Explorer is not responding and an effort is made to fix the problem, with no different result.

I tried system restore in safe mode, but it does not offer creating a manual restore option and restore point dates were not listed.

I tried the following steps without success:

1) Start the computer and press f8 on boot up and select 'Safe Mode without networking'.
2) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and on the top search result right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
3) Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.
4) In the start menu click 'computer' on the right hand side. Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like OLDRepository (right click and choose 'Rename Folder'.
5) Reboot and restart as normal.
6) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and at the top right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
7) Type 'net stop winmgmt' (without quotes) and press enter to stop the wmi service.
8) Type 'winmgmt /resetRepository' (without quotes) and restart the system.

I also ran SFC /scannow via CMD.exe (as Administrator) and received the following message: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." and stopped. I checked the following services and found them to be enabled in Manual mode which I have read is correct: Windows Modules Installer and Windows Installer.

I also ran chkdsk and found no errors.

I would love to avoid a complete reformat. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JCastaldi, 21 July 2009 - 07:57 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...a Repair Installation For Vista here

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
This laptop did not come with a Vista installation DVD. These instructions assume using such a dvd. Do you have a link to instructions in this event? If no Vista installation DVD, does that necessarily mean a clean install?

If I must do a clean install, some of the software programs I installed were downloaded from the Internet and thus I do not have a program installation disk. Can you direct me to the best way to back up software programs without an installation disc so that they can be re-installed instead of repurchased?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi :)

First up, you should be able to contact your computer's manufacturer and they will be able to send you the disc you need. They may charge a small fee. This will allow you to follow the repair install instructions for happyrock's suggestion. It is possible, though, that Acer will send you their own version of Vista which may or may not be capable of doing the repair install.

If you go the format and fresh install way, for your software purchased/downloaded from the internet, make sure to have the installation file. This is what you need to backup. If you can't find it available for download again from the original website, try contacting support - who may wish to verify you did indeed purchase it, and they should make it available to download again. You cannot keep the program intact and move it off the computer for the format and then move it back on again. It must be reinstalled using an installation file.

Cheers