Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen stop 0X0000008E

• Please log in to reply

MANBOY

MANBOY

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi one and all,

Ive had my laptop for a year and a half and had no troubles. However when my laptop starts in normal mode and i log on, it goes to blue screen. Ive managed to stop it restarting so i can copy the message it sends. The error reads as

STOP: 0X0000008E (0X0000005) (0X8C93E8DB, 0X8E2BAFF8, 0X00000000)

i wondered if anyone would be able to help as i havent been able to access my laptop for about a week and have no idea how to resovlve the issue.

regards

James

The laptops a Dell XPS M1530 with dual core 2.0GHz pro, 2GB RAM, 250Gb HD and a Nivida card. Its got vista home 32bit

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try Safe Mode?

MANBOY

MANBOY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it can open in safe mode, but i have no idea how to fix it so it doesnt need to run under it.

I dont know if this is usual but in safe mode the anti virus software goes mental, whereas when i have started it in normal and got on it shows fien before blue screening within a matter of seconds

James

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi MANBOY,
What do you mean it goes mental? What exactly is it doing? What Anti Virus are you using?
This error can be caused by several things, possibly malware, bad memory, faulty drivers etc. Sometimes the error can get worse and worse.
Have you recently installed or upgraded anything (hardware or software) or have you done any major updates, like service packs?

MANBOY

MANBOY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it turns it all off, saysverything sin trouble, yet when on normal mode it runs fine

recently had some form of active X added, when that happened it went down,

How do i check for what you listed, is it possible in safe mode?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
You could possibly check in Event Viewer for anything related to a specific file or program while in safe mode. That could narrow it down.
If you have enough time to download an Anti Malware scanner in Normal Mode try downloading MBAM.
Reboot and run the scan in safe mode. If it finds anything or you suspect malware, go here and read this information:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Edited by sarahw, 19 July 2009 - 09:09 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

MANBOY

MANBOY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for all the help you guys have given me
In normal mode i have say 30 seconds tops before it goes to blue screen
would i be able to download it in safe mode if i allow networking?

gary_h

gary_h

• Pip
  • 1 posts

thanks for all the help you guys have given me
In normal mode i have say 30 seconds tops before it goes to blue screen
would i be able to download it in safe mode if i allow networking?

HI, I am having the same problem on my wife's laptop. It started today when she switched it on it said configuring update 3 of 3, it then reboots and does it all over again. After about 4 try's I can now get to login screen if I wait it will blue screen after about 1 min, If I log on it goes to the welcome page for about 20" then to black screen then BSOD with the stop code 0x0000008E. I have gone through all the advance diagnostic setting (F8 on boot up) Not sure when to go next. I have Googled the stop code and every answer assumes you can log on and run diagnostic programms.