Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet keeps saying it is identifying

• Please log in to reply

mara87

mara87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P300 yesterday, and i have a wireless broadband modem. Everytime i connect to the internet it keeps saying that it is identifying the modem. It works on my other laptop, and i have no idea what to do. My internet company has told me i need to contact Toshiba because its actually a problem with the computer - any ideas would be great!

Ive already tried uninstalling it and reinstalling but it still does the same thing

Edited by mara87, 18 July 2009 - 11:12 PM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Can you try and couple of things to see what happens.

Firstly try re establishing the connection double checking the WEP key and making sure that you have selected WEP as the security protocol. The PC will still try and connect with an incorrect WEP key but wont ever establish a connection like in your case.

Go Start > Run
Enter services.msc into the run Box
Press OK

Look down the list for "Network List Service" (netprofm)
Right click that and choose Restart.

Then see if it connects

Go Start > Control Panel

Then select Network and sharing centre

Select Change adaptor settings

Double click on your wireless adaptor to open it

Select properties and then double click on the Internet Protocol v4 item to open the properties.
Make sure there is a tick in:

Obtain IP address Automatically
Obtain DNS server automatically

Go Start > Run
Enter cmd into the run Box
Press OK

In the cmd prompt enter ipconfig

Then can you take a print screen of that and save it as an image and attach it to your reply so we can see the active connection.

mara87

mara87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey thank you for you immediate reply i actually found out wat the reason behind this was. It was the antivirus software microsoft puts on there computers/laptops now. Its called OneCare, well i hadnt uninstalled it before i tried anything and it was actually blocking me from going on to the net. Even with the firewall turnt off. So all is fine now and everything is working perfectly :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ah good nice to hear it :)

Just make sure you do have some form of Antivirus installed to keep you safe