Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP BSOD 0x0000008e

• Please log in to reply

trysil

trysil

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!
Having problems with a PC belonging to a relative. As i startup I usually get into windows but after a few seconds I get a bluescreen with the error message:

An unexpected error... Had to stop bla bla bla...

0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0x8063741B, 0xB20CA96C, 0x00000000)

etc.
No mention of files or hardware. I have checked the other threads of this error. Tried the msconfig test, even if I disable everything but the microsoft parts I still get the error. If I uninstall the graphicsdrivers I at least get
past the "Loading windows" screen but still BSOD... :)

For a while, he says, he got a BSOD during startup but the PC rebooted and he got into windows with a"The system has reset..." message. Now he doesn't get even this far.

It's a XP machine with a Nvidia card. Tried memtest but it said no errors. Not
sure even a reinstall will do the trick... :)

any hints?

Edited by trysil, 19 July 2009 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

trysil

trysil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Done that, no errors. Still same problem. I'm gonna try a reinstall and see if the error remains :). Lucky to him he made a backup cd just a few days ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 July 2009 - 03:36 AM.

trysil

trysil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
He decided to reinstall windows and now it has downloaded all the patches and packages. Still works... :)

I'll try your proposal, rshaffer61 if the problem comes back.

thanks all

Trysil

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible