Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant run Combofix.exe or other malware programs

• Please log in to reply

stucklikechuck

stucklikechuck

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey im new at this.. tried to follow a couple of topics on here to get rid of being redirected from google and yahoo... I downloaded combofix.exe but it would not run.. then try to download another program and got a cant read bootsector message and it wouldnt scan... At this point what can I do??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

stucklikechuck

stucklikechuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok. was this NOT the place to add this topic?? You repeated this in another area. I have run every malware and antivirus known to man and still am infected since I keep getting redirected to ad sites. I tried to follow a CLOSED topic from here and it said to download combofix.exe.. i did that and it will NOT run.. dont know why.. but it wont. cant even run system restore.. so like my user name says.. stuck like chuck

Edited by stucklikechuck, 19 July 2009 - 11:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Combofix should not be run unless a Tech has instructed you do so.
It can potentially make your system unusable.
The Malware Forum has the techs specially trained to help with the malware and infections.
There is a way to get combofix running even if you can't.
There are many tools they use to find the infections and rid your system of them.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
HI Just like Rshaffer61 stated:
The best place to post a request for help is in the malware forum...

Please click here(this is a link)

That link will take you to the page where you will begin the process of getting help...

Please follow the directions there once you have done that...

PLEASE click here (this is a link)

That link will take you to the exact part of the forum were you can post your request for assistance and the logs that should have been created... Just click on the NEW POST button and you will be ready to go

Please don't download or run any other programs other than what are specified...

Malware and virus removal requires time and experience to do it properly...

Many of the programs such as combo fix can cause a great deal of harm to your computer if used improperly... We want to help you, preserve what your computer is and not have to "start over"

I'm assuming because you started that you were a complete noob that you didn't realize that Rshaffer61 had embedded links into his 1st response... Just follow my links and directions and you should be able to get to the point where you can get help... If you follow my directions and still can't run the proper tools as requested please make that your topic...I have an infection but I can't run the requested tools...

Good luck

You are in excellent hands here...

Cbarnard

I edited just for you my friend... :) :) :) Thanks

Edited by cbarnard, 19 July 2009 - 12:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Cbarnard, as always it is great to have you working with me. :) :) :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 July 2009 - 12:35 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No Problem Rshaffer61

Sorry it took me a while to respond...

It looked like my java script turned off. Come to find out one of my script\ad blockers banned geeks to go, so I had to find it and fix it...

Now I'm G2G

Cbarnard