Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

General codec security question

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I have an .avi video that I need to watch but it requires the XviD codec. I found it online (xvidmovies.com) and users of McAfee site advisor state that the download site is valid and used to be the one where Microsoft would send users who needed the codec. I downloaded the installer and scaned it with multiple scanners, all showed the file is clean.

But I'm still hesitant about it.

Even if no malware came bundled with the installer, I'm worried about codec security issues. Does simply having the codec installed open the computer up to any vulnerabilities (even if the codec itself is clean and all the videos to be played are also clean)?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Do you use VLC? That should be able to play the file without having to worry about downloading a codec.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Chamber,

No, I'm using Windows media player 11. Since I don't often view videos on my comp, I didn't plan to download a specific player just for them.

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Hi,

Download VLC HERE, you won't need to worry about any codecs, you may even find that you will be able to view the file in Windows Media Player now.

Give it a shot, it can't really hurt.

:)

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try! Although, doesn't it mean that the VLC player will automatically/silently install the codecs?

Nonetheless, I'm still wondering if anyone can answer my original question

Even if no malware came bundled with the installer, I'm worried about codec security issues. Does simply having the codec installed open the computer up to any vulnerabilities (even if the codec itself is clean and all the videos to be played are also clean)?

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
go download the CCCodec pack.
Its every Code that you need to play video's accept real player.
D:

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Although, doesn't it mean that the VLC player will automatically/silently install the codecs?

I can't give you a definitave answer to your second question but in regards to the quote above, VLC comes with the codecs which is why there is such broad support from the program. Theres no silent downloading involved leading it to be a very good and very trustworthy program :)

mysoogals

mysoogals

• Pip
  • 4 posts
if your worried about virus etc backdoor kits in the installers !

go install http TCP sniffer ! press play ! system watcher software to see where the files are going and what outbound connections are being made ! that way you be sure if its clean, you can always check the CRC i think or MD5 hash from the owners website ! VLC i think has Md5 and you have to match that download with the MD5 from vlc website! if they match its cool to install !

Edited by mysoogals, 08 September 2009 - 05:12 PM.