Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ridiculously long load in WOW

• Please log in to reply

knifebob

knifebob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, first off let me say that i'm not a computer guru. I can follow directions if they're specific. Ok so heres my problem: I've been playing World of warcraft for several months now with no problem. Just recently my computer got infected with some crazy virus and my stepmom and I decided it would be best to completely erase my hard drive ( i have an external so nothing important was lost, and the external has been scanned and works fine). I just finished updating all of my drivers and hardware and decided to take the ultimate test: check to see if WOW works. Loading the game took about a minute and a half (not horrible) but it took fully five minutes to log into the server (after selecting my character). once inside it takes another minute or two to load the environment, however after the long load time everything runs smooth and fine. Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisements

Dakre

Dakre

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Upgrade!? Heh, it could range from several issues, such as needing more memory to compensate, defragging your hard drive, or even running some optimization tools. I have found one called Auslogics Speed Boost (if I remember right) and they include the basics, which include a hard drive and registry defragger and cleaner, as well as a tweak program to change various computer settings.

I like the program, but you have to pay for it. I don't know of many free programs you can use that does that. One thing I can mention is that you could also right click on my computer, go to properties, go to the advanced tab, and under performance click on settings. After that set it to performance, which will make everything look plain, but it does a small bit to help. The last thing is to go to run and type in msconfig. From there you go to the startup tab and basically ONLY uncheck things you know for a fact you don't need on startup. I wouldn't uncheck any protection programs (anti-virus or spyware), and various things such as display or audio. But if it's your favorite music program or whatever, uncheck it to speed your computer up.

Hope that helps, it's kinda general towards the end, but it's not always easy to say uncheck this or that without seeing what's in your startup.