Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer fails to boot

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

I have had my father's 10 yr old computer to upgrade the memory (to the max 750mb) and to add a 2.0 usb adapter card. I also dusted it out with the air can thing following the directions so that I don't freeze any components.

I didn't turn it on after the upgrade to check it out because it was too late. I just now tried it and it looks like it wants to turn on (processor fan goes on and the power supply fan goes on but not the other fan at the bottom front of the chassis (bottom right in the picture). it runs for about one second. Also, the power light and hard drive light comes on during this one second.

I don't know what to try first to diagnose. Is it maybe the memory or usb I installed? Did I short-circuit something? I have no clue where to start with this problem. I can't afford to purchase a new system :)

I included pictures to show what the computer looks like. It's a Cybermax computer...don't have much other specs right now.

Assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 001__800x600_.jpg
  • 002__800x600_.jpg
  • 003__800x600_.jpg

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pull out the memory and USB card, add the old memory back in, and see if the computer boots up. If so, stick in the new memory and see if it boots. If it boots then stick the USB card in and see if it boots. It may just be a matter of not having a good connection on either items( i tend to think the memory is the problem).

If it does not even boot after switching back to the original setup, you may have other problems. Check all connections( unplug and replug them all). Have you checked to see if the fans come on? You may have borked your system by putting in newer memory than the computer BIOS is setup for. I doubt that the Power supply has gone bad, because it does try to boot. This is either a memory or heat issue. If the CPU heatsink was moved at all it may have lost the good connection with the CPU so it's shutting down as soon as the temp of the CPU hits the limit. Dows it have a tight fit on the CPU?

Try the above and let us know what happens. Then we can move on to deeper things in the computer.