Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor Resolution

• Please log in to reply

murphkid

murphkid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there. Hope you can help me out on this one!

One of my PC's, (Dell Dimension 3000), recently had problems saying a file was missing, so windows wouldn't start. So, i booted from the win XP pro disc, reinstalled it, etc etc. To cut a long story short, I've managed to recover and back up all my files on a portable HD, but my screen resolution is stuck at 640 by 480 pixels and 16bit colour. The screen resolution slider is still sort of highlighted, and lights up when i roll the cursor over it, but will not drag. The only way i can change the resolution is to go to: Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>List All Modes. Here i can select 1024 by 768 (amongst others) but they are all in 8bit which is useless! The only one in 16 is the 640 by 480.

I think this is because of the driver if i am not mistaken? I think its using something called VgaSave at the moment. So i downloaded the monitors driver from dell, but i can't install it! It tells me to go to: DisplayProperties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor and then under Monitor type, click Properties. How ever, the properties button is sort of faded out, so that you can't click it. (I think you know what i mean by faded out aha, that un-clickable un-highlighted sort of thing!).

So i hope you can help me fix this! I've never learnt anything about computers lesson wise and taught myself what i know. As you can see i can just about fix a computer when it crashes like i have done, but my technical and terminology knowledge isn't to great, so this is just confusing me!

Thanks again! Christian.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
You need the display driver. This is for the video card not the screen. Go to dell.com and put in the service tag and go to drivers and find display and find one that says either Intel display, ATI, or an nvidia driver.

murphkid

murphkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yup! Worked. Ended up putting the chipset into my google search along with intel extreme 3 graphic or whatever it was and found it! Thanks!