Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compare I7 to Quad 9650

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have narrowed my processor choice to two. The I7 920 and the core two 9650 quad. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 9650 quad is the fastest. I have one question, the I7920 has this listed in the specs " QPI@ 4.8GT/s " What is that?. Thanks Picky

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The i7 is much faster than a Core 2 Quad. I watched a video in which I could not find(on youtube) that had someone from Microsoft talking about the i7 and how the QPI(Quick Path Interconnect) is about 2-3 times faster than previous technology (Core 2 and its FSB-Front Side Bus-). The 9650 is no slouch by any means, but that's just how impressive the i7 Nehalem technology is. One of the most impressive things to me is that the memory controller is now located on the chip which eliminates the previous bottle neck between the cpu and memory(RAM). Pretty cool...

Take a look at these:
Making of Intel Core i7
Turbo Mode Inside Intel's Core i7

From the Article UPDATE: Core i7: Blazing Fast, O/C Changes <---Click and Read

Here’s the short version. Intel is introducing the Core i7, the successor to the Core 2 processor, which features both improved performance and higher efficiency. In our benchmark
suite, the Core i7 is 16% faster clock-for-clock than the Core 2

What you really may want to see is the Analysis: Core i7 965 Extreme vs. Phenom X4 9950 BE vs. Core 2 Extreme QX9770 You will notice, that all the other top processors before the i7 are slower.

Also note that the i7 is a socket 1366, the Core 2 Quad is socket 775. Which means you need to look at different motherboards for the two. Also note that it would be best if you intend to overclock that you look for an i7 processor with DO stepping(fairly new, not all stores may have these yet...) compared to the first stepping which is the CO/C1. CO/C1 is no slouch, but apparently the DO stepping is much much better when overclocking. I don't overclock, so that is about all I can tell you on that.

Hope this helps :)

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for the advise. I will probably go with the I7 920, It might even come down in price some more. The hardest job is picking the mother board. I have heard some good things about EVGA. I use EVGA video cards all the time. I want o make sure I have Triple channel support and Esata on the rear and plenty of room between PCI ex cards. If you have any boards in mind let me know so I can look at them too. I have been doing allot of research lately. Thanks Picky

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Click on my i7 System in my signature, it is a video of the build. You should be able to see the eVGA X58 3X SLI board I chose in action so to speak. The reboot test is a little misleading, that board has a 8 phase power design so it boots a little slow, but not that slow. Pay attention to the on board power, reset, clear cmos buttons. As well as the on board LED indicators, and the LED CPU Temperature reader, pretty cool and convenient.

Another board I like for a good cost is the Gigabyte boards. There has been hype about the Foxconn Bloodrage too, but I don't know much about it.

Just to help you out, here is link to all of Newegg's 1366 Boards CLICK HERE

Finally, I seem to really like the Gigabyte Boards and eVGA Boards. Hope that helps. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Intel's i7 is much faster than any CPU on the market today especially the i7 Extreme. It overclocks well and has superior architecture. The only con is the $1000 price tag on the i7 Extreme... if you can afford it, then go for it.

You might want to check out some of Asus's LGA 1366 boards too. Here are some really good ones.
P6T Deluxe V2: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=4068
And the mighty Rampage 2 Extreme: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=4068

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks Guys, I have reviewed numerous boards and like Asus, I am using the Asus M2N sli deluxe with a 6000 x2 amd and it is a sweet running machine. I want to graduate to the Intel Quad family. I have built 75 amd computers and want to try a intel for my self. My first build was with a cyrix chip, and then went the Asus P5A board. The P5A pc is still running. I will keep a link to your resent topic so I can look at all the boards Thanks Picky

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good Luck :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hope your build goes well! :)
Once you decide, I would like if you could tell us your motherboard or your whole build.