Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help...Vista 64 won't work with my router!

• Please log in to reply

nalinc23

nalinc23

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey All, I just got a new computer with Vista 64 bit and my Linksys router will NOT work with this computer so far. I have done a power flash, changed ethernet cables, borrowed a buddy's identical router, checked my IP address (getting a normal 192.168 address), to no avail. I need someone's help because I dont want to spend $80 on a new one and my girlfriend needs her computer for work (only way she can connect is wirelessly in the house) and I want to reclaim my computer!!

Please let me know if there is anything else I could try. I also tried to get a new driver but all they had was a .bin firmware upgrade and none of the release notes said anything about Vista 64 bit compatbility issues resolved.

THANKS!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The operating system is irrelevant and you do NOT need a driver for a router.
You need a working ethernet driver which if you have a 192.x.x.x address sounds like it is working.

If the behaviour is the same on two different routers then assuming they're set up correctly for your internet with appropriate usernames, passwords and settings, then the ISP is more likely at fault.

nalinc23

nalinc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

The operating system is irrelevant and you do NOT need a driver for a router.
You need a working ethernet driver which if you have a 192.x.x.x address sounds like it is working.

If the behaviour is the same on two different routers then assuming they're set up correctly for your internet with appropriate usernames, passwords and settings, then the ISP is more likely at fault.

I can blame the ISP but before I got this new computer and Vista 64, the same router worked fine (on XP). It really is a mystery. I can usually figure these things out.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As I say, you do not need a driver for a router, therefore you need not to install anything.
This other computer you have, is that online through the same router?