Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Steady Amber Power Light - No Boot

• Please log in to reply

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have a Dell B110 with upgraded EVGA Nvidia Geforce 6200, Creative Soundblaster Live 24-bit, Linksys Wireless-G Adapter with Speedbooster and an added Seagate Hard Drive as slave.

I recently disconnected the slave hard drive of my PC and switched it with a compatible ATA hard drive (with the jumper set to cable select and the slave connector of the ribbon cable attached) from my friend's dead computer to recover the files.

I was unable to boot at this point so I removed this added hard drive, put it into a different PC and was able to access the added drive fine.

When I put my original drive back as the slave, it would no longer boot, but instead showed a flashing amber light instead of green in the power light. I went through the Dell Support Wizard which involved removing all peripherals, power+data cables from drives, RAM, expansion cards, and reseating the two motherboard power connectors. Doing this process changed it from flashing amber to solid amber. According to Dell's support site:

Posted Image

I am unsure what is causing the problem or what I should do at this point.

Edited by retrac1324, 20 July 2009 - 12:22 AM.

Advertisements