Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freeze-up with hard drive activity, then returns to normal

• Please log in to reply

Anomaly

Anomaly

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been having this problem for a while now, and it's time I find out how to fix it for good, rather than my temporary quick-fixes.
Every once in a while my computer will just freeze. I can move the mouse, but clicking on anything is useless, and any window that I try to interact with will revert to "Not Responding". During this freeze, the HD Activity light is on the entire time. After a minute or two, it will unfreeze and I can just pick up where I left off.
This will happen more often as the days go by. It starts off to be once every few days, then daily, then a few times a day, then every couple minutes. If I switch my 2 memory sticks to the other slots, it "resets" this sequence and I'll get a day or two of peaceful computing. Removing the motherboard battery then reinstalling it also seems to do the trick. However, I'd like to get a permanent fix. From my temp fixes, I'm guessing either a mobo or memory problem, but I'd like to pick someone's brain and see if anyone knows some specifics about this kind of problem and how to fix it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright, I'll start going through these in the order posted. I already use Speedfan, so that's nice and convenient. I'll start the Checkdisk before I leave today and let it run its course. I'll notify when I've done everything, although depending on circumstances it may be a few days before another freeze-up, so it'll be a waiting game. I'll hold off on doing my tricks to "reset the cycle" unless it becomes absolutely impossible to work.

I've attached a Speedfan screenshot, though I believe my temps to be fine. Only thing odd I see (besides that super low temp, obviously) is the +12 V line. I suspect that is from using automatic DC fan control on my motherboard, and the fan was running very low at the time (I've done this for ages without problem too). Using the noise of the fan as a guide, I can say that it has frozen during long periods of being cool, long periods of being warm, and everything in between, so I suspect it isn't a temperature issue.

I'll start the checkdisk now and get on the rest when I get back

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.jpg

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
At first, I thought the checkdisk scan might have done some good, as the freezes subsided for a few days, but alas, they have returned. So as for further tests, I shall continue.

Everest:
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------    Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405    Homepage                                          [url="http://www.lavalys.com/"]http://www.lavalys.com/[/url]    Report Type                                       Quick Report    Computer                                          JOSH-DESKTOP    Generator                                         Josh    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows Vista Professional 6.0.6002 (WinVista Beta)    Date                                              2009-08-04    Time                                              08:02--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Computer:      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows Vista Professional      OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2      DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)      Computer Name                                     JOSH-DESKTOP      User Name                                         Josh    Motherboard:      CPU Type                                          Unknown, 3000 MHz      Motherboard Name                                  Unknown      Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown      System Memory                                     2048 MB      BIOS Type                                         AMI (10/30/07)      Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM10)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM11)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM12)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM13)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM14)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM20)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM21)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM22)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM6)      Communication Port                                BT Port (COM7)    Display:      Video Adapter                                     ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series  (512 MB)      Video Adapter                                     ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series  (512 MB)      Monitor                                           SyncMaster 953BW/953GW,SyncMaster Magic CX953BW/CX953GW(Digital) [NoDB]  (H9LQA05088)    Multimedia:      Audio Adapter                                     High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]      Audio Adapter                                     High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]    Storage:      IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller      IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller      IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller      SCSI/RAID Controller                              AY9XVN1J IDE Controller      SCSI/RAID Controller                              Microsoft iSCSI Initiator      Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD2500AAKS-00VYA0 ATA Device  (232 GB, IDE)      Optical Drive                                     KVC 0LEVO5A3 SCSI CdRom Device      Optical Drive                                     KVC 0LEVO5A3 SCSI CdRom Device      Optical Drive                                     KVC 0LEVO5A3 SCSI CdRom Device      Optical Drive                                     KVC 0LEVO5A3 SCSI CdRom Device      Optical Drive                                     TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK    Partitions:      C: (NTFS)                                         173873 MB (32970 MB free)      E: (NTFS)                                         51198 MB (40357 MB free)      P: (NTFS)                                         4094 MB (46 MB free)      Total Size                                        223.8 GB (71.7 GB free)    Input:      Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device      Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device      Keyboard                                          Standard PS/2 Keyboard      Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse      Mouse                                             Microsoft PS/2 Mouse    Network:      Network Adapter                                   Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller  (192.168.1.2)    Peripherals:      Printer                                           Fax      Printer                                           HP psc 2100 Series      Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer      USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB2 Controller                                   Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]      USB Device                                        HP PSC 2100 Series (DOT4USB)      USB Device                                        HP psc 2100 series      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device      USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device      USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device      USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device      USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device      USB Device                                        USB Printing Support    Problems & Suggestions:      Problem                                           Disk free space is only 1% on drive P:.

[EDIT:] Attached Autoruns.txt as file instead of using codebox, as it would stretch the page quite a hideous amount.

I'll get the memtest run going and post back on that later.

Attached Files

Edited by Anomaly, 04 August 2009 - 09:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ Adobe Reader Speed Launcher

When done restart computer and then:

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

AVG is a resource hog and there are just as good AV's that are free and a lot less resource hungry.

I use Avast myself and find it does a great job. If you have paid for AVG I can understand not changing at this point.
If you want to change:

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I could have sworn I disabled Adobe speed loader... always do. This one must have slipped by me, thanks for the catch.

I ran Temp File Cleaner. How well does this work in comparison to CCleaner? I use it quite often already.

Downloaded Auslogics Defrag and ran it. Will this one be a resource hog if I leave it on auto-defrag and to start on boot? Defragging is just so much easier when I can just set it and forget it.

AVG (free) has fallen out of favor with me lately anyways, so I'm not attached to it. Avast was actually one I was considering switching to. Given this recommendation, I've gone ahead and switched to it.

I'll post back if I start getting more freeze-ups, or with a thank you if they decide not to return.

EDIT: forgot to note that I ran memtest for 2 hrs, and got 2 full passes, halfway through another test, and 0 errors.

Edited by Anomaly, 04 August 2009 - 12:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTG does not recommend any software that modifies the registry.
Ccleaner although good I don't think it cleans without working on the registry also unless you change the settings.
TFC is one I recommend alot and if not that then I recommend ATF.
Avast can be set to run in the background also and it updates at least once a day.
Free and no more buying newer versions every year.
Please let me know how everything is running .

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Good news and bad news. Good news is I'm noticing an increase in responsiveness and overall zippyness (especially just seconds after boot), now that I'm using the right programs for maintenance. Bad news is that the original issue still exists. Last night I got a series of the freezes, and one ended with a BSOD complaining about CI.dll. I googled it, and saw suggestions to run spyware scans, but SuperAntiSpyware didn't turn anything up with a full system scan.
Might I note that these freeze-ups did not follow regular pattern of getting worse until I switch my memory around. After a few freezes and a crash requiring a restart, followed by another few freezes, they went away, and haven't come back. It may have been a one time fluke or still a symptom, I don't know.

Edited by Anomaly, 06 August 2009 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to make sure you do not have a active infection:
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just thought I'd post back to say the problem has been resolved. I wasn't even trying to fix it at the time, but problem went away and there was much rejoicing. I never would have guessed it was..... Video Drivers! Uninstalled and updated to new version that came out between the start of my problem and now, and problem is gone.
Much thanks to you for giving your time to help. Your time was not wasted; my computer runs even snappier than before, with an antivirus that isn't a resource hog, plus being better defrag'd.

To give a few more details for others' experience, I believe I was running Catalyst 9.4, but not sure on that. Update to 9.8 is what resolved it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible