Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Virus?

• Please log in to reply

MZ041986

MZ041986

• Pip
  • 1 posts
4 days ago my computer got infected by a virus from a program I downloaded off isohunt. This virus caused it so whenever I clicked links on the net it would send me to random add sites. It also disabled my system restore and some how shut my cd drive down. I went through deleting about everything on my computer trying to get rid of it. I noticed that in msconfigs start up menu there was a file that was there that had no name or location. When I shut this off and restarted my computer instead of adds popping up on links it just started sending me to a blank page. I then installed and ran Norton Anti-virus and it said it was a trojan w/ 2 letters after it(I can't remember which). Norton said it cleared it and for a few hours it went away. When it came back I ran Norton several more times on a full scan and it couldn't find it again. So I ended up reformatting. I got rid of all partitions and fully reformatted. While I am not having any of the problems from before I reformatted, I now have 2 things in msconfigs start up that are blank of name and location. Should I be worrying about these? How can I find out what they are? Is it possible the virus survived the reformat?

Advertisements