Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP3 hangs on "WIndows is starting up"

• Please log in to reply

Andrew Hsieh

Andrew Hsieh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Lenovo Thinkpad, T61 series. After forcibly shutting down my computer, as it froze suddenly earlier this morning, I booted it up again only to discover that I couldn't get past the "Windows is starting up..." screen (i.e. the login screen). I cannot get past the "Windows is starting up..." message and so I cannot log on.

I attempted to boot into Safe Mode but to no avail; it just transfers me over to its own "Windows is starting up..." screen and I cannot get into the interface.

I searched around the internet and then Geeks to Go! and I found this post. As per Broni's instructions to that user, currently I am running Memtest86+ v2.11 on my laptop and afterward will run a hard drive diagnostic tool from that same post (am I correct in assuming I should use the tool listed for IBM in the link in Broni's post? just realized clarification would be useful before I run in blindly).

Running Lenovo's Thinkvantage Rescue & Recovery tool does not help me at all, though it corrected some corrupted DLL files earlier. (Nothing changed that I could see by the symptoms, however.)

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks very much,
Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hsieh, 20 July 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

Andrew Hsieh

Andrew Hsieh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

For some reason when I insert the CD and hit "r" to repair, it gives me the following error message:

"Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I probably should have mentioned this before but the type of Windows XP I am running is Media Center. Is this compatible with my OS? Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

EDIT: I have a new problem. Now, when I try to boot up, I cannot even access Thinkvantage's Rescue & Recovery (it just leads me to a screen with "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully..." that has selections for "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", etc.) nor the login screen that my system used to hang on. When I restart, the computer goes to the Windows logo, and then to a blue screen that says something about "A problem has been detected...etc" (it merely flashes, not nearly long enough for me to read it) and then restarts the computer, and the same thing happens all over again.

EDIT2: It seems the bottom part of that blue screen is "0x0000007B" . . . something.

Edited by Andrew Hsieh, 20 July 2009 - 07:43 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I probably should have mentioned this before but the type of Windows XP I am running is Media Center. Is this compatible with my OS?

yep...it is
the complete troubleshooting guide for Stop 0x0000007B is here
my money is on ...
Other potential causes of a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message include:

* The boot volume is corrupted and cannot be initiated by Windows XP. If the file system is corrupted and if Windows XP cannot initiate the boot volume during the startup process, either move the drive to another computer that is running Windows XP and run the chkdsk /r command on that drive or try to create a parallel installation of Windows XP on the drive (in a separate folder). The Windows XP Setup program checks the integrity of the volume before it copies files, and it may fix some problems in the process.