Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows did not start successfully...following file is missing or corr

• Please log in to reply

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok it finished and says LBA 312551424, Read scan PASSED, dont know if you need any of this, but just incase, underneath the results it has another box that has this info: Device 0 is seagate device ST3160212A 4LS62BBC..on generic PCI ATA..Device is 48 Bit Addressed-max LBA 312581808 (160.042 GB)..This device supports security features..This device is security freeze locked..SMART is supported and enabled..SMART has NOT been tripped..DST is supported..logging feature set is supported..POH 12656 Current temp 35 worst temp 43........box below that says Device- 0 seagate..Model-4LS62BBC..FW- 3.AAE..Controller- Generic PCI ATA ......Ok...so now what? lol

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Looks like the test passed overall.
Do you have any reinstallation or recovery CDs given to you when you bought your computer?

Can you try a manual recovery of your registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Security freeze lock is a preventive feature which guards your hard disk against someone locking your disk with a password

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok i have the computer at the same location as my working computer, so hopefully this will be alot easier now, since it doesnt look like this is gunna be something can fix in one or two trips... ok im going to try the manual recovery link...wish me luck..thank you!

Edited by xxdoniellexx, 23 July 2009 - 12:40 AM.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tryed to do the manual recovery but i cant do part 2, you need to be able to start windows in safe mode which i still cant do...???...I really appreciate everyones help..i just feel like were running out of options...this is very nerve racking.. :) ...any new suggestions would be awesome!

Edited by xxdoniellexx, 23 July 2009 - 12:45 AM.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
help...does anybody know what I should do now?? :)

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
another quick note...not sure if it will help or means anything but now when I try to go to last know config. it no longer tells me the following file is missing or corrupt it just reboots to the same black windows did not start screen...

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i just noticed a sticker on the back of the comp. that says windows xp media center 2005, does that mean that i dont have windows xp home edition?

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i just noticed a sticker on the back of the comp. that says windows xp media center 2005, does that mean that i dont have windows xp home edition?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Different version of XP

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If the registry files from the repair directory don't work... this problem is deeper than just corrupt registry files.
I want you to backup your files... click on Backup Files Without Windows in my sig, and follow the directions.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
im very sorry for starting a new topic..i just thought since it was a new problem it would be a new topic...sorry

i went back into the recovery and tryed it using windows media center edition 2005 instead of home edition in the load identifier spot, i then ran chkdsk and it said the volume appears to have one or more enrecoverable problems...the sticker on the back of the computer has a key code and everything, do i just need to clean install media center edition 2005??

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

i then ran chkdsk and it said the volume appears to have one or more enrecoverable problems

The load identifier can be set to anything (won't make a difference), doesn't matter what the OS is.

Try the backup procedure I told you to try.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
its downloading now...i read it says to use a usb to attach to another drive...what does that mean?, how do I do that? and if there any viruses or anything can it transfer to the other drive?

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
also I know that the music and pictures and stuff are already in another location, what are we backing up that we need?...im sorry i just dont really understand all of this stuff..thank you for your patience