Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with opening ports for game

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi.
recently i changed ISP and they gave me a new router. Thomson TG782T.
i used to be able to play Supreme Commander:FA without any problems but since i got this router i am getting "nil" connections to some ppl and i cant play against them.

i thought it might be a problem with ports so i went to www.portforward.com and followed the instructions of a different router (Thomson TG797) that is very similar to mine, since there was no instructions for my specific router.
i made myself a static IP and then
i opened ports for 6112 9103 and 30350 - 30351

i also downloaded the port checking tool from the same website which is apparently very accurate.
after i open up the ports i used the port checking tool and it confirms that each of the ports are open.

however 2mins later they are all closed again.
and at the same time that this happens, the list of ports that my router homepage shows as open suddenly shows a message saying "No port maps defined for this game or application." where originally it would show the list of ports that ive opened.
it just seems to auto close them for some reason

ive tried doing all of this with my norton internet security firewall disabled. but i get the same results

Please does anyone know what im doing wrong

THanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
check http://portforwarding.com/

look up your router and follow the instructions to configure port forwarding.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
ye ive done that.
(see my first post)

read it again but ill also add that i was trying to forward ports to DCP channel only

meow meow emwo

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have the feeling that you will need to contact your isp to see why your settings are being reset.

the best option I can suggest is for you to place your computer in the dmz zone (option in our router).