Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Resets Back To Login Screen

• Please log in to reply

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
One of my co-workers here has a laptop and today when he tried to log into Windows it begins the login session and then before getting into Windows it logs out. I had booted up in safe-mode and tried logging in as the local admin and same result. There is a message in the login window that the security logs are full.

Any idea's?

Advertisements

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,
This issue occurs because no more events can be logged to the Security log on the computer. When events cannot be written to the Security log, only accounts that are members of the Administrators group can log on to the computer.
To resolve this issue, use an account that is a member of the Administrators group to log on to the computer. Then, follow these steps to specify that Security log events can be overwritten:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Event Viewer.
2. Right-click Security, and then click Properties.
3. In the Log Size area of the Security Properties window, click the Overwrite events as needed option under When maximum log size is reached.
4. Click OK.
5. Close Event Viewer.

That will fix it. :)

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
To log on as admin in NORMAL MODE follow this...

On the Welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard by holding down both the CTRL and ALT keys and then pressing DELETE.

The Log On to Windows dialog box appears. In the User name box, type Administrator. In the Password box, type your Administrator password, if you created one during Windows XP setup. If you have not assigned a password, or you do not know your password, leave the Password box blank. Click OK.

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks BMTHmisfit but I have the same results when I try logging in with the local admin login in normal mode and safe mode.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Mmmm ok i think i know why.
In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL TWICE at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am already able to get to the login screen.

1. I boot the computer up in safe mode.
2. I get the login screen.
3. I enter the local Administrator login.
4. I select Ok and it begins to log into Windows.
5. After about 2 seconds and before I see the desktop or anything the screen changes from saying loading settings to logging off.
6. It then returns to the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Your on xp prof right? You have to enter the ctrl alt del TWICE. If that doesnt help, you may have to get a bootable live cd so you can access the system and clear the logs.

Reply back if the ctrl alt del TWICE method doesnt work :)

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks again BMTHmisfit but I am not sure what hitting CTRL + Alt + Del for the second time is going to do different then then hitting it the first time?

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The logo works different for home and pro, the pro method is below.

At the Welcome screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Without releasing the Ctrl+Alt keys, release the Del key and tap it again.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
If you were working on Home you would only tap the delete once :)

Advertisements

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Has it worked?

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't know what to say, as I said before I have already got to the login screen and logged in. This laptop is on a domain so the login screen is the old style with User Name, Password, & Computer fields. Am I not understanding what you are asking me to do or are you pulling my chain?

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi again,
No, im not "pulling your chain" :)
Their the methods used for removing or overwriting the logs.
Could you please tell me what version of windows you are trying to fix?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
BMTHmisfit....a couple of things

#1 ...you've already been warned about the images in your signature....remove them soon or i'll remove them for you

#2...you're wrong and obviously not paying attention.... there is NO difference between pressing ctrl - alt -del once or twice when logging on...the ONLY reason you have to press it TWICE is if you've got fast user switching enabled where you get to the XP login screen where all you have to do is click the user icon to log on...and the ONLY thing that pressing the key combo twice does is bring up the classic logon screen...it doesn't effect the logon credentials in any way shape or form...in the OP's case...he's got classic logon turned on...which means his logon box is always up when the computer comes on...which means he doesn't have to press ctrl - alt - del twice to get the screen to come up

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it is Windows XP Professional SP3.