Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Resets Back To Login Screen

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Chris do you have an XP disk? if so can you run chkdsk from the recovery console with the /R option just to make sure that there's no corruption on the drive?

Advertisements

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I do and I will give that a try. I have seen a lot of technicial problems but this one is difficult because I am limited to what I can access.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi again chris,
Well seeing as you are not able to log on at all in any mode and having tried the methods I have listed i dont know what else I can suggest. Usually when the security log problem arises, logging in as the inbuilt admin and overwriting the logs clears it up, but seeing as you are definitely unable to do that, all i can think of is a bootable disc that you can use.
Sorry :)

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for trying, I am going to give the checkdisk a run and after that I am going to re-install Windows overtop and see if it fixes it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
before doing an overtop install i'd do a repair

Repair the Windows XP installation.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
    See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
  • When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
    - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    - To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Press ENTER.
  • Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
  • A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    - To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

• Press R.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP.

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Whenever I have tried to use the Windows Recovery Console in the pass it tells me it wasn't installed. Will running the repair from the CD be different?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
meh? are your running recovery console from the XP disk? unless you've gone through the steps of manually installing the RC as an on-disk option...then it can only be run from the XP disk

running the repair option (the steps i posted above...not to be confused with recovery console) will remove windows and put it back in place without mucking with the data on the drive or ending up with multiple instances of the OS

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here where I am at now,

I did the following steps:

4.When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3. 5.Press ENTER.
6.Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
7.A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
- To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.8.Press R.

It asked me which Windows installation to repair, and I choose 1, I enter the Administrator password and then it just took me to a C:\Windows> prompt.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're pressing R too early...you're getting into the recovery console..

at step 4 you press enter (where it asks if you want to set up xp now)

after you accept the license agreement (f8) it should give you two options...one would be to repair and one would be to just install a new version of the OS...that's where you press R to repair

Chris Sovari

Chris Sovari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for all your help.

I tried the steps above and it did the Windows re-install with no change so I looked around some more and found an article saying to use the recovery console and try C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe, but when I tried this I found out that the system was missing userinit.exe so I copied it from the Windows CD and I am back in business.

Thanks again for you assistance, I think it's great you guys are here and so quick to respond.

Advertisements