Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer, over, and over and over......

• Please log in to reply

Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried doing a search but I was unable to find a solution.

While trying to do an install the system crashed and now I have the Windows installer
saying it is installing a program then says it can't continue over and over and over.

The process is the notorious msiexe.exe file (Ugh!) Is there any way to fix this? I am tempted to delete every msiexe.exe on the system but I am sure as soon as I reinstall the installer it will start all over again.

Is there a software out there that can fix this issue? Since this program has not finished the install, the Windows Clean up program does not help me. I have also tried RegCure, Norton and add ware software.

I would hate to have to reinstall the OS but I might have too. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try system restore yet...

Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yep, I tried that.

I think, I hope, I figured it out. Since I was ready to reinstall the OS I decided to get radical. I exported my registry so I had a back up. Then I searched the registry for 'msiexe' and started to remove 5 lines at a time. Then rebooted to see if the problem went away. After about 5 reboots the problem stopped. I restored the registry from the back up and started deleting the last 5 one at a time. It looks like it was a Micro Soft update (go figure) that was stuck in the install. So far, after 5 or 6 reboots the problem has not came back.

I am not saying this is for everyone but it is what seems to have worked for me. Thank you for you time and help.

www.bsphi.com

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...
for the future get ERUNT...it will back up your registry in just a couple of seconds....I use it before every windows update..