Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive enclosure "access denied" files from crashed comp

• Please log in to reply

mpurchases

mpurchases

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Yesterday - my computer CRASHED and I was unable to enter windows despite the computer looping around from the opening screen to the windows start up.

I think this happened because of my power cord being loose - over months.

Attempted all day to fix problem - which was limited because the only options were bios changes, because the safe mode, etc would not work.

So, bought new computer, bought disk drive enclosure, and now have my crashed computer disk in that casing. I hooked up the usb from the drive enclosure and in my new computer I went to run and entered "cmd" and ran chkdks /r on the e: drive (which is the drive from my crashed computer.

I can now see files from the crashed computer, but NO DESKTOP FILES (which is where the bankruptcy brief I had almost completed was located - help). Also, I can see all my "my document" files from letters A through X - but only the files from M onwards can be read and copied. A through L - are "access denied."

I did have my windows password protected, and I know the password, but if lack of password is preventing A through L from being read, why can M onwards be read and copies. Also, i cannot find a place on this e: drive to enter my password.

Also, have I lost my desktop files - HELP.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to take ownership of the files/folders that you're having issues with

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
i know, but how can i take ownership if i cannot find the login password screen for the e: drive. This is the problem

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
follow the instructions in the link i posted...you don't need to get to a logon screen you just need to take ownership

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
the link you gave me, which i clicked throught to and READ says the following:

How to take ownership of a folder
You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

THE FIRST PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT HAVE A "SECURITY" Tab in properties. I only have "general" "sharing" "Customize"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you logged on as an administrator?

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
how do I log on as an administrator. I am on my new computer. I have a hard drive enclosure with the drive of my crashed computer as a "e:" drive. It is the e: drive files - a through l with have access denied. But m through x I can read, copy, etc.

This is what I need to know. How do I log on as administrator on drive e:??? Again, i know my password, but how do i log onto drive e: as an administrator.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you don't log on to the E drive as an administrator...you log on to your computer that has the external drive attached as an administrator

do you know if your account (the one you're using now) is an administrator?

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
my new computer, the one I am typing to you from - I just turn it on, and proceed to do whatever I do. No password, etc. So, i believe i am the administrator.

then i go to "my documents" and access my usb e: drive and attempt to read files. I can read "m through x" but not "A to l" and no desktop files are anywhere to be found.

Surely, I have to enter a password for my e: drive, or this could be a run around to accessing my password protected e: drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Surely, I have to enter a password for my e: drive, or this could be a run around to accessing my password protected e: drive.

...well let's back that up for a second....by "password protected" do you mean that on the old computer that this drive was in you selected to ENCRYPT the entire drive? or did you just have a password on your user account?

open up my computer and click on tools in the menu bar, then choose options, then choose the view tab, scroll down to the bottom of the list and uncheck "use simple file sharing" (if it's checked)and press apply and ok... now see if the security tab shows up on the folders you're having issues opening

Advertisements

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
yes, i checked, i am the administrator - i am the only user, with a guest account shut off - this is on my new computer. But, what about the e: drive which came from my windows password protected crashed computer? Again, i know the password, i just have to have a place to enter it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
read my last post

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I unchecked the 'simple file sharing' feature. No luck on receiving the security tab in the "access denied" files after doing this.

i would enter a user password at the windows screen - my password as an administrator, and the "guest" did not have to enter a password.

maybe password is not the problem, because i can read some files and folders - M through X. But cannot read files and folder A through L.

and no desktop files are anywhere.

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
wait, just got the security tab on some folders.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this XP home or XP pro?