Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DELL INSPIRON 5160

• Please log in to reply

BOBBIEINFLA

BOBBIEINFLA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELLO, I HAVE A DELL INSPIRON LAPTOP. THE DISPLAY IS GONE. I CAN TURN IT ON AND SEE THE SMALL GREEN LIGHTS COME ON AND THE SOUND IS FINE BUT NOTHING COMES UP ON THE SCREEN. IT HAS WINDOWS XP. THAT IS ABOUT ALL I KNOW. I AM NOT VERY EXPERIENCED - I JUST USE MY LAPTOP MOSTLY FOR EMAILS AND FINDING INFORMATION.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First suggestion is to hook a external monitor to your laptop and see if you get video then.
If so then your problem is a bad lcd...Nojoy
If this is indeed the case you would need to take it to a shop(make sure you backup all your data before)
If they indeed determine the lcs is bad then you have two options.
Replace the screen (not very cost effective)
Buy a new laptop
The second option would allot you to then purchase a external enclosure for your hd in the present system and have it for a second drive for your new laptop.
We can help with finding the external enclosure if you decide to go this route.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I DID TRY TO HOOK UP MY LAPTOP TO A WORKING MONITOR, BUT I AM SUCH A DUMMIE WITH COMPUTERS I AM NOT EVEN SURE I DID IT RIGHT. I DID UNLOCK MY MONITOR PLUG AND PLUGGED IT INTO THE BACK OF MY LAPTOP. HOW DO I MAKE SURE THE MONITOR IS STILL ON WHEN I UNPLUGGED IT?

If the monitor is plugged into power and the video cable is plugged into your laptop then you should just have to turn on laptop.
When you do this the LCD will be disabled and the external monitor should show the video now.
BTW I have closed the other topic. Please respond in this topic as it will make it easier to help and to follow along with the topic.