Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not boot from CD

• Please log in to reply

leavings

leavings

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, and thanks for helping.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P15-S420 that I want to wipe clean and re-install Windows XP (it got some nasty Malware - something called Virut I think). I am not the original owner, so I don't have the original disks. I bought a re-install disk and drivers from these guys: http://www.digitalme....com/index.html, and am now trying to perform the re-install, but I can't get the computer to boot from the CD.

I have tried changing the boot order in BIOS so that the CD drive is first, but the system still loads Windows XP as normal. I tried disabling all other drives in BIOS, but when the system then tries to boot I get an error message that says the following:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM."

That message will repeat endlessly. I tried disabling the realtek ethernet devices manually in the control panel, but that didn't help. I know that the CD drive is being recognized, because I can open the disk when I load Windows XP normally. However, I can't get it to boot from that drive. What can I do?

Many thanks,
leavings

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to get to the recovery partition yet?

To access the recovery partition do the following...

Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

leavings

leavings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it, but it didn't seem to work. I held down zero (0), but the machine just started beeping incessantly until I let go, at which point it loaded Windows as normal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you gone through the Malware Forum to verify you are indeed infected with Virut?
If not then just for your peace of mind it may be worth the trip.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also did the system do the following so you could start tapping the 0 key?

Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.

leavings

leavings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

yes, the Toshiba logo appeared. I tapped as instructed, and stopped when the logo disappeared or the computer beeped, but then Windows just loaded normally. I never reached a HDD recovery point.

I can try the Malware removal forum, but I have already gone through trying to get rid of the infection with no success. Wiping the computer clean was presented to me as a last resort, which I believe I have unfortunately reached. Please let me know if you think taking another shot at disinfection is necessary.

Thanks,
leavings

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you come to the conclusion it was Virut?
Did you have another forum go through your logs to find it?

leavings

leavings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

yes, I had another forum go through my logs, only I can't recall which forum, so I can't find the thread. Their recommendation was to wipe the computer clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then as long as the other forum has identified the virus as virut you have only one option as they have suggested.
Since you can't get to the recovery partition then I would suggest calling Toshiba and ask them about purchasing a recovery cd from them.
They should be able to egt you one for a minimum cost, somewhere between 30 to 45 dollars.

I would also suggest trying to go into the bios and set it for default settings.
Then try the normal boot. If that doesn't work then try the cd again.

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 July 2009 - 10:30 AM.