Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

3GB cell phone only showing 30.8 MB of storage

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I hope this is the right section. I didn't find any cell phone section.

My cell phone is a NOKIA 3120 CLASSIC (image 01). I bought it less than a week ago. It has a 3 GB memory but it sends me messages that its memory is already full, which makes no sense sine it has virtually nothing stored in it.

It worked fine the first days. I took many pictures and then downloaded them into my PC, always leaving the cell pone's image folder empty. But from he day before yesterday it starts sending me this messages that it's full when I want to take a picture.

The first time it did that was the day before yesterday in the morning:
I tried to synchronize it with my Hotmail account and it took a looooong time, and at the end it sent me a message that there was not enough memory and it asked me if I wanted to delete some thing. Since I had really NOTHING on my cell phone to delete, I candled the whole thing, I was afraid it would delete the files that came with the cell phone. I must add that I have no idea of what synchronizing means other than when applied to synchronizing music.

Since I did that, I started to suspect that that my memory must be full due to the synchronization, but that's not so. I deleted the messages that I had gotten and all my drafts. And this is what my memory status shows.

Memory status:

Free memory 1.1 MB
Gallery 3.5 MB
Messaging 21.4 MB
Applications 2.8 MB
Organuizer 2.0 KB
Bookmarks 1.0 KB

And all that seize of memory occupied you see there is the default size that the phone came with, except for a 263 KB ringtone that I added manually to the ringtones folder. That's the only thing I have not deleted.

So I connected my cell phone to my computer and this is what I saw when I checked the phone storage: (image 02)

Is there something I'm not doing? or should I just take my phone to the costumer service?

Attached Thumbnails

• image_01.jpg
  • image_02.jpg

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
well...the PHONE itself looks like it's got 30mb of built in storage and your 3gb is probably on some form of external storage...such as a sim card or a micro SD card etc.. which is usually a seperate purchase (there's a chance that the documentation said that it could support up to a 3gb sd card but that it doesn't come with one)...

looking at the phone specs that i can find..it can support up to 8gb on a micro sd card and 24mb of built in storage (which looks about right based on your images)...

i don't know the specifics on your phone as far as how to do it...but any phone with external storage has the ability to change settings for certain options (like the music player and the camera) to make sure that all media is stored on the storage card instead of the main memory...you should consult your manual to see about doing that

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanx... that's right

i bought a memory..

i had mistaken the 3G for 3 GB. 3G just meant that it allows videocalls :/