Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection problems (long story)

• Please log in to reply

truli

truli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My boss's daughter has asked me to look at her laptop (Sony PCG-Z1XSP) running Windows XP. She said it was running really slow and could I "clean it for her". I have done this for lots of people, including myself, so I don't have a problem with that bit at all. Thing is I need to have internet access to download the software to do the clean and I can't! A couple of days ago she asked if I could connect it to the internet for her which I did. They have two available networks - one for the main house and one for us in the office which is away from the house. Anyway that all went well. Then she asked me to do this today and I could not connect. I am now at my own home and have her computer with me. It "sees" my network but it doesn't connect. I have tried everything. Here are a few things you may ask me for:
Under Net work connections there is Local Area Connection which it says Network cable unplugged. There is then Wireless Network Connection which says Wireless connection unavailable.
What can I do to get connected. Any help will be gratefully received. Thank you

OK - NOW EVEN MORE COMPLICATIONS (this happened today once too) - when I go connect to - wireless network connection there is nothing listed in the box now at all! Not a thing. Zilch! This is so frustrating
2 hours ago

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most laptops have a either a switch or a Fn button toggle that you can use to determine whether the laptop can or can't find wireless networks.
Many infections are known to screw up internet access altogether and realistically hooking an infected machine up to the internet is asking for trouble.

angeldream

angeldream

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Many infections are known to screw up internet access altogether and realistically hooking an infected machine up to the internet is asking for trouble.

Dear Neil, how to detect all these infections if full scan cant detect them ? I'm having a problem with my Wifi connection as well.

Things that I have tried are :

1. Bypass the connection using a cable to obtain the Ip automatically since my wifi is not functional.

2. Reinstall the wireless adapter's driver.

3. Did a full scan on my system

4. Turned off the firewall

Additional information :

I can detect the wifi signal through my Communicator and managed to get oonnected to the internet .

Sometimes , I managed to connect to the internet using the wifi connection, but it says : limit or no connectivity.

How to solve this problem ?

Does this mean my wireless adapter is the main problem?

What is Ad Hoc ?

Thnx.

Edited by angeldream, 25 July 2009 - 05:03 AM.