Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hooking up Sata HD & IDE DVD Rom

• Please log in to reply

elliemae

elliemae

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have a new Gigabyte motherboard and I need to replace my old HD (which was IDE) with the new sata HD. How do I connect it & the IDE DVD rom? Also do I need to change the BIOS since I am going from IDE to Sata?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sata doesn't need any config changes in the bios of the sata drive is the only hard drive and has XP installed...and for the dvd drive...hook it up like you normally would

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
OK I hooked everything up and tried to install xp on my new hard drive. After a few failed attempts about a file being corrupted, it finally installed and rebooted the pc to the blue screen with this message: Check for viruses on your PC (new HD should be no viruses. Remove any newly installed HD or HD controllers. (DUH? Then how am I to get my new HD working?) Check your HD to make sure it is properly configured & terminated. (Don't know how) Run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption, and then restart your PC. (Also don't know how to check disk if I can't get it going)

ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Edited by elliemae, 21 July 2009 - 07:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neat!

hehe ok that's less than good

ok....first....where is the DVD hooked up? is it hooked up on the primary IDE channel or the secondary (often the primary IDE channel has a colored connector on the motherboard...often it's blue...while the secondary is black or grey)?

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
It is a blue cable that the old IDE HD was hooked to it. The motherboard connection is white but I am assuming it is the primary IDE since the old HD was attached to it.

Edited by elliemae, 22 July 2009 - 09:38 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try moving the DVD to either the middle connector on that ribbon or move the whole cable to another IDE adapter on the botherboard (if you can find it...there should be a secondary somewhere in there)

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have both dvd drives on this cable and there is not another ide connection only sata connections. Do I need to remove one of the dvd drives? I can connect it with a sata cable as I do have an ide adapter for sata or disable one of the dvd drives.

Edited by elliemae, 22 July 2009 - 11:17 AM.

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I don't know if this matters but I checked CMOS

IDE Channel 0 Master Sony DVDRW DW-Q3
IDE Channel 0 Slave Sony DVDRW DRU-8
IDE Channel 1 Master {None}
IDE Channel 1 Slave WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B

Onchip IDE Channel Enabled
Onchip Sata Controller Enabled
Onchip Sata Type [Native IDE]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...that's got something to do with it...it's somehow treating the sata drive as a slave (which in and of itself isn't cause for failure...but i'm sure could cause hiccups)

as a test....try jumpering one of the dvds as slave (you should see a little square guy across a set of pins on the back of the drive...that's the jumper)...check the drive for a sticker that lists the jumper configurations for the drive and set it to slave...then plug it in on the center connection of the IDE cable...then remove the other dvd for now

does the info in the bios change at all? also...(again shouldn't matter but...) look on the board near the sata ports...you should see some numbers next to them (like sata1 or sata0 etc..) make sure that the HD is plugged into the lowest numbered port

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have the top dvd set as master with end of cable attached to it, the 2nd dvd is set as slave and has the middle connection attached to it. Do I still nedd to change?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...just unplug the top dvd drive

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I plugged the sata cable into port 0 and it moved to IDE Channel 2 Master. Unplugged top dvd drive

Edited by elliemae, 22 July 2009 - 12:44 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what does the bios show now?

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
IDE Channel Master 0 [None]
IDE Channel Slave 0 Sony DVD burner
IDE Channel Master 1 [None]
IDE Channel Slave 1 [None]
IDE Channel Master 2 [my hard drive]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
at least the HD is showing as master now....i think you could plug in the other DVD drive and try to reinstall windows again....go ahead and format the drive during the install to make sure it starts from scratch