Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google vs. Microsoft,

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Google Chrome Operating System is expected to be released the second half of 2010. Sounds pretty awesome thus far.

From Introducing the New Google Chrome OS

Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

However, this is a very interesting article as to why this may be a very very bad idea for Google. Why Google's Chrome OS will turn to lead

The conventional wisdom has it that Microsoft should be afraid -- very afraid -- of Google's Chrome OS. After all, how can high-priced Windows compete against a free operating system released by what has arguably become the most successful technology company on the planet?

The conventional wisdom is wrong, though. The development of Chrome OS could be the worst mistake Google has ever made, and one of the best things to happen to Microsoft in a long time.

And then there is Bing and Google too. The Chrome browser, etc. Fight, Fight! :) It will be interesting to see how this pans out...

Edited by Ferrari, 21 July 2009 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
This is a VERY interesting topic and one I enjoy and talk about regularly at work with my fellow computer dudes. This isn't just a war for an OS or anyone thing anymore these companies are going head to head in each others back yard and it just keeps getting more and more interesting. I LOVE google and practically everything google does turns into something useful. Yahoo and bing (microsoft obviously) officially teamed up today in the search race to fight google 1 vs 2. This makes it a bit more fair in that race but google OS is headed in the right direction for the future of computing as a whole. I hope that it is as easy to use and operates ridiculously fast as they say it will and I think with the price tag of free it may take over for those that use the computer mostly for internet purposes (like me) as long as they have firefox and the ability to use stumble upon still, I will switch.

:)

Go Google!!! I support you!! :)

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
BTW Ferrari one of your links is broken.

Why Google's Chrome OS will turn to lead

If you can find it again I wanna read it. It sounds interesting.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

BTW Ferrari one of your links is broken.

Why Google's Chrome OS will turn to lead

If you can find it again I wanna read it. It sounds interesting.

the link worked fine for me, you just have to skip the add that first shows up.

http://www.computerw...l_turn_to_lead_

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ahhh the ad is the problem. I am using host xpert and it blocks certain sites ads... Ill have to fix that. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Google seems to really be putting on their boxing gloves. They are even going after the phone companies. Have you heard of Google Voice? And HERE. In short, you can make free calls, you have a different phone number you can hand out to whoever and depending on who is calling, you can have it ring to just your cell, or your cell, home, and work, etc. Voicemails can be converted to text messages and sent to your cell phone and they also appear as text in your in box for Google Voice. You can have different voicemails for different contacts. You can listen to voicemails live, (as they are leaving it, you don't have to wait till the end) And more...

Invite only for now, I just got my invite yesterday which took about 2 weeks or so, but I haven't tried it out yet. My cell phone is currently off. Invite Page...

https://services.goo...glevoiceinvite/

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What about Google Wave? And HERE.

What is a wave?

A wave is equal parts conversation and document. People can communicate and work together with richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.

A wave is shared. Any participant can reply anywhere in the message, edit the content and add participants at any point in the process. Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to see who said what and when.

A wave is live. With live transmission as you type, participants on a wave can have faster conversations, see edits and interact with extensions in real-time.

Or Google Tisp? And HERE :)

Welcome to Tisp

Sick of paying for broadband that you have to, well, pay for?

Introducing Google TiSP (BETA), our new FREE in-home wireless broadband service. Sign up today and we'll send you your TiSP self-installation kit, which includes setup guide, fiber-optic cable, spindle, wireless router and installation CD.
Get Started with Google TiSP

TiSP in-home wireless broadband is:

Free, fast and highly reliable

Easy to install -- takes just minutes

Vacuum-sealed to prevent water damage

Edited by Ferrari, 29 July 2009 - 05:55 PM.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Way to go Google.

I will certainly wanna install Chrome on a machine to test it, Just like I wanna have a disk on my machine with XP/Vista/Windows 7. But I would never use Chrome as my MAIN OS. Only Linux.

I think Google is the new Microsoft. M$ were created when the market was fresh and developing and there was a lot of stuff just lying around waiting to be picked up and utilized by the quick entrepreneur. Google had to struggle in a much more mature computer-business environment, meaning they had to be smart, flexible and innovative, or else they would not have succeeded. And then again - the state of the internet in '96 was not that much different from the conditions in the computer market in the late 70's - still a vastly unexplored land.

I've tried out Google Chrome, and it is quite good, but I don't like the fact that it has so few configuration options. After Firefox, which has so much more to offer in that department, and that even without including the about:config options page, using Chrome felt like driving in handcuffs. I also don't appreciate the fact that Chrome installed "GoogleUpdates" on my machine without asking me, and if I kill the process it pops up again somewhere else, and it is actually quite tricky, as it can take the shape of a service or a regular process. This is called spyware or sneakyware, and it definitely is unsettling. And another annoying thing I've noticed about Gmail - they are downgrading many features..... that just don't sit right with me, y'know? Smells too much like Microsoft.

Google's technologies are impressive, but I keep thinking about the phrase "beware of G[r]eeks bearing gifts", and I'm suspicious of all the new shiny free stuff they are giving away. Have you got any idea how much data on millions of people they are hoarding on their gargantuan server farms? So they give ya 7 Gigs of free space on Gmail just out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

In the business world, the bigger you are, the more things you can get away with, the more you can bend laws and various constitutional provisions in different countries to your benefit. And I think that the bigger you get (and Google has grown very big), the more you can dictate things to your customers, until eventually you end up controlling certain aspects of their lives. And if you get big enough, you have to become another Microsoft, because, well, corruption empowers and if YOU don't do it, someone else will.

But then, of course, you cannot ignore progress and technological evolution, things in which Google seems to be playing a major role these days. I just wanna put as little of my eggs in their basket as possible. Linux is free. Harsh, but free, and that's what I'm sticking with.
(as soon as I learn how to control it, of course :))

SOADA

SimonJThompson

SimonJThompson

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Google's technologies are impressive, but I keep thinking about the phrase "beware of G[r]eeks bearing gifts", and I'm suspicious of all the new shiny free stuff they are giving away. Have you got any idea how much data on millions of people they are hoarding on their gargantuan server farms? So they give ya 7 Gigs of free space on Gmail just out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

Can't agree with you more there S.O.A.D.A. , it's a mystery to me as well as to why Google seem to be keen to hand out all these nice free services!

I used to be pro Microsoft, and just saw Google as a search engine ( which of course, it mainly is well...was ) . Now though, seeing how slick all these new products they're bringing out really are it just draws you in and Google grows on you. Suddenly your web browser's Google, your e-mail service, and now suddenly the operating system too. :)

In my opinion, if Chrome lives up to it's description, Google really could become the new Microsoft ( As S.O.A.D.A already said ).

What about Google Wave?

Ferrari, I myself am on the mailing list and will be on it as soon as it's released! It seems to look so.. useful.. Okay it doesn't.. I guess I just want another Google service under my belt just so I know it's there when it takes off big time

As for Google Tisp :) Is that serious? I wouldn't be surprised if they DID have an army of Nanobots :)

Edited by Khan_, 15 August 2009 - 04:08 PM.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I would like to say this battle between google and microsoft is going to end with 1 super giant company and the other being a shell of it's former self. I say in 5-10ish years 1 will no longer exsist and the other controls the world.

Edit: Not that they both aren't already super giant massive companies.

Edited by rcramm, 18 August 2009 - 01:04 PM.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
So, you're giving Microsoft five to ten?
: )
I dare not make a guess.....

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I would say it depends on how google Chrome OS does if it becomes relevant then Microsoft may have something to worry about. If it doesn't Google may be in some trouble because Microsoft has already started making big plays in the search engine department so I think it could go either way but I'm sure hoping for Google to keep rolling forward. :)