Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fatal System Error c000021a

• Please log in to reply

Przybyl

Przybyl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently turned on my computer to find the Fatal System Error c000021a. It is to my understanding that I need run a repair of Windows XP, however i lost my recovery CD that came with my computer. I do not have a proof of purchase because it was back in 2005ish when i bought the computer. It is also to my understanding that Microsoft has stopped selling Windows XP, and recommends to upgrade to Vista. But in order to do this on a computer that previously ran XP, you need to download some driver or something before you install Vista. However, I cannot download this driver because I cannot log into my computer (It is stuck at the error window and says that Windows has shut down). I have tried safe mode and last good configuration. Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most c21a errors i have delt with are cause by a hotfix microsoft installs on the computer. Heres a article that may fix your problem.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

* Mismatched system files have been installed.
* A Service Pack installation has failed.
* A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
* An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

The above from
http://support.micro...kb/156669/en-us

SRX660

GeekComputers

GeekComputers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

Here exactly what you need to do:

http://support.micro...n...p;x=18&y=16

second option try, scan and fix with any registry cleaner.

good luck!

I recently turned on my computer to find the Fatal System Error c000021a. It is to my understanding that I need run a repair of Windows XP, however i lost my recovery CD that came with my computer. I do not have a proof of purchase because it was back in 2005ish when i bought the computer. It is also to my understanding that Microsoft has stopped selling Windows XP, and recommends to upgrade to Vista. But in order to do this on a computer that previously ran XP, you need to download some driver or something before you install Vista. However, I cannot download this driver because I cannot log into my computer (It is stuck at the error window and says that Windows has shut down). I have tried safe mode and last good configuration. Any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation