Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9600XT Crashes Whenever I Play a Game!

• Please log in to reply

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My 9600XT works fine for everything, until I want to play a game, e.g. Counter-Strike Source. 2 mins in give-or-take the computer just locks up. I have gone to the Intel Web-Site (instea of the ASUS one) and D/Loaded the Latest Chipset Drivers for my Board, 875 Chipset, and that helped somewhat.
Now It takes a bit longer to Lock-Up, and when it does I can still CTRL+ALT+DELETE out of the game then re-maximize it and will run again for another couple of mins.

I just finished rebuilding my computer, and Windows and all the updates are up to date (freshly installed) I've tried everything that I and all the ppl I know can possibly think of and nothing works. Please HELP ME, or tell me (dreading) if my Graphics Card has 'Kicked the Bucket'

Thanks.........

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
have you loaded the latest catalyst drivers from ATI? this would give you all kinds of control over the settings for the card, as well as tell you the specifics of the card. for example, if some ram has gone bad, it should reflect that in the specs.

you can also play around with the amount of acceleration you use, try to find something that will run stable. (in catalyst)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
In addition to audioboy's good advice try disabling agp fast write in bios to see if that helps.

What bios are you running?
What motherboard?

Rick

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your input so far guys, but I've tried the latest catalyst Drivers as well as about 4-5 other driver sets. The best one for me being a version of the Omega Drivers.

As for my Motherboard, I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with the latest BIOS update.

I have tried all the obvious things, such as Chipset drivers, Graphics Card Drivers, etc. etc. and tried Fast-Writes on & off both during and after install, but this is still giving me grief.

Thankful for any help people can give me. :tazz:

Edited by Prophet7, 13 May 2005 - 06:31 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is there any chance this could be heat related, if your not sure post your cpu temp, and video card temp.

A program called Everest witch is free (google it) will give you the card temp along with other usefull system info. I have the same card it does have a sensor.

I will be away till sunday but audioboy could give a look at the temps

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
looking at your system specs, your vid card is your weakest link...except for that partridge. get that outta there! j/k

seriously though, it worked before the rebuild? if so, then its got to be driver or a setting. unless the card took a good static shock, or got damaged some other way, it should still be ok. is the fan on the card working? it almost sounds like the card is overheating, and shutting down to protect itself.

check your bios settings to make sure the AGP speed is right. if its an 4x/8x card, some people have solved problems by setting the agp to 4x.

can you try this card in another machine? would be curious to see if it fails there.

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Doby and Audioboy, I did try my Card in a friends PC just a couple of Days ago who has a similar Card, we re-installed the Drivers on his PC (even though they were the same) and we found that, while the Frame Rates still weren't up to what I would expect, his system did not Lock-Up. I then borrowed a GeForce 4 from him, uninstalled the 9600XT from my PC completely, and installed it, and it fly's. High Frame rates, smooth Performance(though on a lower Res.)

As for my Temps: CPU = 44, 48-52 Under Load (Awesome for a Presscott)
(Thermaltake Tower 102 with two TT Silent Tek 90mm Fans).
MB = 29-30 Stable
Graphics Card = I'll Get Back to You, but as I have had it running in another PC without Shutting Down.............?!?!??

Hope you like a challenge 'cause this obviously isn't an easy fix.

Thanks again for your input.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This sounds like a power problem witch is common with todays super video cards and cpu's. Thats why it works on your friends computer and not yours.

What psu do you have?
Look on the psu for specs and see if it lists the combined amps of the 3.3 and 5v rail.

don't simply add the two together thats not what I am looking for, look for a seperate rating that specifically says combined amps 3.3v and 5v. A good psu will list this and as a general rule the combined amps should be at least 21A, so give it a look and post back what you find.

Rick

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
To Prophet7
I feel 4 u mate i had the same problem i only joined this site to tell u my cure.....
I flashed the bios on the vga card then used a dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor which is a samsung syncmaster 17".
Hope this helps..................

Edited by stuart813, 27 May 2005 - 01:35 PM.

OldNewb

OldNewb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Prophet,
I have the same problem with my 9600 xt. I have had the best luck with the 4.9 doom hotfix beta drivers and I will probably use those again but I do like the new ones if they would just stop crashing. This card does look nice and smooth in games untill it locks up. I never used the dvi adapter but I will give that a shot thanks Stuart. I Also flashed the card an MB bios without success. I know it isnt heat at 34c, my board is similar, Gigabyt 875p chipset I have a gigabyte vid card and one would think they should be compatible.
OldNewb

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Stuart and OldNewb, I might try that stuff, I haven't thought of flashing the card BIOS.
My Card runs very cool and so I'm fairly sure it's not heat related.

As for your Q. Doby, that's something I don't have the Foggiest.
I looked at the Specs. for my psu and could not find what you are asking for.

If it's any help though, it's a brand new ANTEC 'True Power' 550W.
So, I ah, dunno, what the combined AMPS are, but I would assume from that Psu I would have something Decent, as I am a Quality Nut and always try to buy really good gear.

Also just as a side-note, my friends PC (the one I tried my card in) also has the exact same psu.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, but this card is starting to depress me.
Think I'll go Back to nVidia and AMD next.....lol. :tazz:

Any suggestions are still very welcome though.

Edited by Prophet7, 28 May 2005 - 02:15 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
thats a good power supply, same one I have. it will have no problem powering the card, as you discovered in your friends machine.
I used a visiontek 9600XT 256mb card for a few weeks, until I loaded up doom3 and it started choking. it looked pretty good, but frame rates would fall apart if there was too much going on.
I upgraded quite a bit, to an ati X850XT. no problems at all with that!

I dont know why that card just refuses to work in your machine, but is fine in your buddies.

if your looking at nvidia cards, I hear lots of good things about the 6600GT cards.
if your in the market for a new card, check out some reviews, tomshardwareguide.com offers some pretty comprehensive reviews.

wITTus

wITTus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I experienced the same problems and registered to geekstogo.com now just to make this (maybe) one and only posting. I've found this thread via google and thought that it'll help propably a lot of people... :ph34r:

This is what I've found out the last few weeks:

Standard Settings
- Card: Club3D Radeon 9600XT
- Monitor Refresh: 85hz
- Resolution (Desktop): 1280x1024
- Resolution (In-Game): 1024x768
- BIOS: All fail-safe (memory settings _are_ important!!)

Test with:
- Desktop Mode (2D, this worked really always)
- Sudden Strike : Hidden Stroke II (2D, this worked always too)
- GTA III (3D)
- Stronghold II (3D + lots of shader stuff)
- Deus Ex 2 (3D + lots of shader stuff)

----------------

Setting #1:
- Driver: Omega 2.6.25a
- Full Driver 3D Settings + Full Details In-Game
- Fastwrite: PCI(R/W), AGP(R/W)
- AGP Speed 4x

Result:
I started Stronghold and ran the tutorial.
It ran about 5 seconds and crashed to desktop, no error message. :tazz:

----------------

Setting #2:
- Full Driver 3D Settings + Full Details In-Game
- Fastwrite: PCI(R/W)
- AGP Off

Result:
I was able to play 8 minutes and 13 seconds. Game looks very beautiful with no display errors. I scrolled around a bit, then, Windows crashed and showed me a blue screen with no text. After reboot, Windows complained about a system failure and displayed a popup with following data:

BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 10EC9F80 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: F13024A7 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 256_1

This is exactly the same behaviour as with Deus Ex2, which crashed often while finishing the loading process. Stronghold II though, seems to load stuff dynamicaly. I'm sure it's a driver/memory problem.

----------------

Setting #3
- Resolution 640x480x16
- Minimal/Deaktivated 3D Settings + Minimal Details In-Game
- Fastwrite: All off
- AGP Off

Result:
Same as #2, except that it runs superfast and looks crappy.

----------------

Setting #4
- Driver: Latest Catalyst (9. June 2005)
- Standard Settings
- Fastwrite: AGP(R/W) off

Result:
Stronghold runs 3 seconds and makes Windows XP showing me the common bluescreen without text. ;)
GTA Vice City runs while the first few minutes normal, then the sound stops and the game becomes horrible slow. I remember that it run fine as I buyed the card and decided to install the oldest drivers I'll find.

----------------

Setting #5
- Driver: Display Drivers on CD which came with card (12. September 2003)
- Standard Settings

Result:
Just tested with Stronghold: runs fine, no errors. ;)
GTA Vice City: runs fine, no errors.

It's really a pitty that ATI newest drivers are still that buggy :) . Anyhow, now I can play and I'm fscking happy! ;)

So, enjoy
- wITTus

PS: Man, I even tried to install drivers for my monitor... (nothing changed :tazz: )

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Setting #5
- Driver: Display Drivers on CD which came with card (12. September 2003)
- Standard Settings

Result:
Just tested with Stronghold: runs fine, no errors.
GTA Vice City: runs fine, no errors.

Yep thats exactly what I run and no problems, I play all nascar games some maden football and flight sims, look and run good

Rick

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Guys, thanks for the info. I'll give it a go and get back to you.
I only just gave a guy 50 Bucks for a second-hand 256MB version too (Just 'cause I could.)
Haven't installed it yet, but oh well, I'll give it a go see how it runs.

PS: I knew Radeon Drivers were Crap, (that's why I was looking at going back to nVidia Cards anyway) but I didn't know they were that Crap.
We'll soon see if that's the problem though. Either way, hopefully I'll be able to stop running an old GeForce 4 Ti. (It will struggle a bit with LAN play of Battlefield 2 or even the Demo I think.)
Also, thanks for your input Stuart. I'll give wITTus's idea a try first(It seemed to work for Doby), and if that doesn't work I'll try your Idea mate. Ta

Prophet. (Dean)