Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound is missing?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I recently got a used desktop computer & it doesnt have any sound. How do I find out what is wrong?

By the way,It has windows 2000.

Please & Thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
We need to know the make and model of the computer. Look for a tag that had the model number( can have letters also)on the outside of the computer if it is a factory built one.The sticker may also be inside the computer case.

If it is a custom built computer we will need the name and model of the motherboard. This is usually stamped somewhere on the motherboard.

With this information we can find the correct drivers for your computer and reinstall them. Now, i have to ask if you have checked in the sound properties to see if it has been muted. Do you have a sound icon in the tray in the right side of the taskbar? Have you opened up the control panel to see if there is even a sound device in the Device manager panel? I just need to know how far you have delved into the problem.

SRX660

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
well when i go to the device manager & down to sound,video ect.there is a exclamation point next to Windows Sound System Compatible (WDM). Then it says This device cannot start (code 10).

The back of the tower says Hewlett Packard Pavillion 4540. Its a old computer.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Oh & there is no sound icon

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your computer is so old (433MHz processor) the drivers are hard to for it anymore. I am assuming this is the USA model we are talking about so i found these drivers for Win 2000. They are the drivers for a combo card that is the audio drivers and the Rockwell riptide 56K modem drivers.

It took a while but i found H-P drivers here.

http://h20000.www2.h...mp;swEnvOID=181

Below is a second source for the drivers but you will have to register to download them.

http://download.mode...CC-/Windows-2k/

The text file is a zipped file and windows 2000 may not be able to open it so you may have to download the 7 zip program( free) to open it. The exe file is the modem/audio drivers.

SRX660

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I couldnt get that driver to install.Even after I installed that zip program.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unfortunately, what has probably happened is the sound part of the card has quit working. I had this problem on many of the Packard-bell computers of that time period that had a similar modem-sound card installed. Most of the time i had to switch to installing separate sound and modem cards to fix the problem. If you do not need a modem( most people use network cards and external modems nowadays)you could buy a cheap Creative sound blaster card( or similar) off Ebay and install it for sound. Your computer is so old it is not really worth putting much over $50 into to keep running, and the parts in it are already so old that they can fail at any time. Good luck with the computer.

SRX660

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
thanks

Jamie 1978

Jamie 1978

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I have a desktop pc by the make of 'INFINITY' which has Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 but I can't play any music through Media Player as it mentions the following error message:-

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there might be a problem with your sound or video device. Try installing an updated device driver."

I've tried re-installing the driver as it previously had a REALTEK audio driver installed on it but it wont install so i went into the device manager and looked under the 'sound, video and game controllers' section and noticed that the REALTEK driver is now not there so i tried re-scanning for hardware changes and it still didn't pick up the REALTEK driver but instead it's now picked up the following driver and error message:-

"Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus"

Status Message Code 28: The drivers for this device are not installed.
Class GUID {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_105B0D47&REV_1001\4&25EBD212&0&0201

I've tried updating this driver and I still get no sound and i've even gone onto the Realtek website to try and get the relevant driver but I still get no joy.

PLEASE HELP as i feel like i want to pull my hair out!!!!!

Edited by Jamie 1978, 08 August 2009 - 04:13 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, jamie 1978, you really should start your own new thread instead of hi-jacking someone else's thread. It's not a real problem but it is considered not very nice to do. The thing is if you start your own thread more people here will read your message and perhaps try to help you fix your problem.

On to your question. I looked up infinity computers and found 4 different companys so what you need to do is open up the side panel on your computer and find out what make and model the motherboard is in it. Usually stamped on the motherboard is whe made it and the model. This is important since drivers can change with different motherboards. Once you think you have found it post a message giving information on the motherboard. Perhaps we can find the correct driver for your computer. If that doea not work the answer i gave above may apply to you also.

SRX660

Advertisements

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just a suggestion. Don't want to better anyone's opinion here. :)
Wouldn't it be easier to download EVEREST (go back a couple of inches and click on EVEREST), run it and let the PC tell you what the make and model of your motherboard is...? Instead of opening the side panel and digging you're way through the dust and mites to find that information. :)
And I definitely agree with SRX660, start your own post for the best results. Success!

Edited by crooz, 09 August 2009 - 04:07 PM.

Jamie 1978

Jamie 1978

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi crooz, i did start my own thread and just reposted my original query with the extra detail of my motherboard info but had my thread closed by someone called murray.

Please can you help me instead?

My motherboard is: -

Board: Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
Serial Number: UYRM81500127
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/19/2008

Regards

Jamie 1978

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
This is for SRX660 to finish off. I'm not an expert in this particular field.
Sorry. But I saw that you ran EVEREST...

Jamie 1978

Jamie 1978

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi crooz, thanks for your reply anymay.

SRX660, please can you help????

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
i would try these drivers to see if they will work.

http://www.foxconnsu...mp;sort=Drivers

These are the Realtek HDA audio drivers for XP 32, XP 64, and vista.

If they don't work it would be easier to just buy a sound card and install it.

SRX660