Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Problem

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found your malware topic HERE

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just went thru your malware topic...
is this correct... Drive C: | 27.94 Gb Total Space | 2.00 Gb Free Space | 7.17% Space Free

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :rolleyes:

mb250c

mb250c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Happy - I have Firefox, but am unable to load it. I get "unable to open server.
Yes that amount of freespace is correct. After I stopped laughing from schaffe's emoticons, I researched a DUMMIES troubleshooting book to free up some disk space. I don't believe that I have that much high volume material on this machine. No graphics programs or video, and minimal music library. I mean REAL minimal. I will continue to try to cleanup and make it known where it gets me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The fastest way to open free space is to go through Add\Remove Programs and uninstall those programs you no longer use.
After that you will need to run the Auslogics Defrag again to straightn everything up. Below I am including the instructions for the first part of my response.

What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

The next issue you need to be aware of is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
· HERE
· HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial[/b] and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a {b]Backup[/b] is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should also go to the control panel...power options...hibernate tab...
uncheck enable hibernate...
You should never fill an NTFS drive more than 85% full, or the Master File Table [MFT] can become badly fragmented, making the drive slow...

Edited by happyrock, 31 July 2009 - 06:47 AM.